3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2011 9:28 AM by philmodjunk

Duplicate entries appearing in a portal

TimHeppell

Title

Duplicate entries appearing in a portal

Hello, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

Just a bit of background to what I've been trying (badly!) to do.

I used one of the Filemaker starter solutions - I think it was Contact Management. It was the first time I used Filemaker and had a bit of help sorting out a few problems such as adding a 'Company' record as the original solution was for 'Individual' contacts and they didn't relate to each other if I had quite a few contacts in one organisation.

What I'm doing is adding information into a 'Company' record and then copying the unique number in the 'Company ID' field on the record and then pasting into the 'Company ID' field on the 'Individual Contact' record. This then brings in all the information from the company record to the individual record. It means I can add many individuals to that one company record.

The problem I'm having:

I enter a new 'company' record with company name, address, telephone number etc.

Then add one new 'Individual Contact' record with using the same company ID.

The portal that I have on the 'Company' record (that shows a list of the name, email and telephone of any individual in that company) will also show another entry just with the telephone number - no name or email.

It only just seems to have started doing this although this seems strange as I haven't played around with the 'workings' for 6 months or so.

I'm sure this is something really simple that I've made sound really complicated but any advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Duplicate entries appearing in a portal
          philmodjunk

If you have enabled "Allow Creation Of Records via this Relationship" for the portals table in the relationship that makes this portal possible, then you'll always see what looks like a blank row after the last row of records in your portal. This is the "add row" where you can create a new related record in the portal by entering data into the fields in the portal.

You can eliminate this "add row" if you clear the check box that enables the "allow creation..." feature, but then make sure you use a script for creating your related record that does not do so by interacting directly with the portal. You'll also now have to use other means each time you want to add a new related record.

• 2. Re: Duplicate entries appearing in a portal
            TimHeppell

Hello Phil, thanks for your reply. I can't seem to find the 'Allow creation of records...' in the Portal Setup window. I guess I'm looking at the right thing as I have the check box options to sort, filter, allow deletion and a scroll bar plus the number of rows. I'm not sure where to find the portals table.

The rows aren't completely blank in the portal as I will have the individual contact I added that has name, email, the individual ID and the phone number from the 'Company' table. But in the row underneath I have the telephone number appearing on it's own not linked to a contact...

I'm using Filemaker Pro 11 if that makes any difference.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Duplicate entries appearing in a portal
              philmodjunk

Open Manage | Database | Relationships, find the relationship one which this portal is based and double click the line connecting the two table occurrence boxes.

Clear that check box and the "row underneath" will no longer be there.