5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2009 11:06 AM by keller714

Duplicate Fields without Duplicating

keller714

Title

Duplicate Fields without Duplicating

Hello,

I'm new to FileMaker Pro and am trying to set up a database for work, which is going fairly well so far; however, I am currently stuck.  Ideally I need several fields (probably 20) to type a book title in with each field having a different title.  However, I would like each field to be called "Title."  Is this possible?

If not, how can I set it up so that each field can be called something new (Title 1, Title 2 ...) but still create a relationship to populate the information into an individual record? 

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Duplicate Fields without Duplicating
          raybaudi

Hi keller714

> Ideally I need several fields (probably 20) to type a book title in with each field having a different title.  However, I would like each field to be called "Title."  Is this possible?

I think that what you really need is several records of a related table.

• 2. Re: Duplicate Fields without Duplicating
            keller714

Daniele,

How would I go about setting this up?

K. 

• 3. Re: Duplicate Fields without Duplicating
              davidanders
                 These may be useful

Database normalization From Wikipedia
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization

White Paper for FMP Novices
              http://www.foundationdbs.com/downloads.html

• 4. Re: Duplicate Fields without Duplicating
                TSGal

keller714:

To set this up, do the following:

Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database".  Click on the Tables tab and add a new table "SubTable" (you can always rename it later).  Click the Fields tab and add the field "ID" (Number) and "Title" (Text).

At the top left of the fields, click the drop down next to "Table:" and select your original table.  Add a new field "ID" (Number).  Click on Options and put a check mark in the option for Serial Number.  That is, when each record is added, a new serial number is generated and placed into this field.  Click OK.

Click on the Relationships tab, and you will see a graphical representation of your tables.  Click the "ID" field in one table and drag it over to the "ID" field in the other table and let go.  The "ID" field now appears at the top of the tables with a line connecting them.  This means the tables are now related to one another.

On that line, midway between the two tables, is an icon.  Double-click the icon and a new dialog appears "Edit Relationship".  On one side is the original table, and the other side is the "SubTable" table.  At the bottom of the "SubTable" table, click the option to "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship".  Click OK to close this dialog box, and click OK again to return to the database.

Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  This allows you to modify the way data is presented.  At the top of the screen, there are a number of tools (represented by icons).  Four icons to the right of the oval tool is the portal tool.  If you place your cursor over this tool, after a couple of seconds, a description of each tool is displayed.  Click the portal tool, as this will allow you to view information from "SubTable".  On your Layout, your changes to a plus sign.  Click down and drag diagonally to create a box.  When you let go, you are prompted for what table you want to display.  Select "SubTable".  You will then be prompted for fields.  Select "Title".

Go to Browse mode, add a new record, and you will notice there is "1" in the ID field.  In your portal, there is a place to enter a Title.  Enter a title, and then you can enter another one beneath it.  Continue for as many as you need.

Add another new record, and ID now equals 2.  Add a couple of Titles there, too.

If you skip back to the previous record, you will see the related set of titles that you entered previously.

This should get you pointed in the right direction.  Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Duplicate Fields without Duplicating
                  keller714
                     THANK YOU!