10 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 3:18 PM by KIDO

Duplicate Portals

blueboy

Title

Duplicate Portals

I have invoices that I need to send to more than one company, therefore, I need to duplicate my portal and give it a new invoice number for each company. Can you help?

Thanks,

Blueboy

• 1. Re: Duplicate Portals
          KIDO

Hi Blueboy

Can you be more specific?  What data changes? Just the invoice number and company details? - Is it a new invoice with same contents to different customers? - Is invoice number auto-generated?

KIDO

• 2. Re: Duplicate Portals
            philmodjunk

Most portal style invoices have an invoice for the current number and a portal that lists specific items purchased in a related table. Usually the invoice and the portal records are related by a serial ID number that may or may not be the actual invoice number printed on the invoice.

If I understand your request correctly, you want make a copy of an invoice, including all the "line items" listed in the portal.

Use the following script after editing it to refer to your tables, fields and layouts:

Set Variable [$NewInvoice, GetNextSerialValue ( get(fileName) ; YourTable::YourInvoiceID)]

Go To Related Record [Show Only Related Records ; From Table "YourPortalTable"; Using Layout "Your Layout" (YourPortalTable)]

Loop

Duplicate Record/Request

Set Field [PortalTable::InvoiceID, $NewInvoice]

Omit Record

Go To Record/Request/Page [First]

Omit Record

Exit Loop If [Get(foundcount) = 0]

End Loop

Go To layout [original layout]

Duplicate Record/Request

• 3. Re: Duplicate Portals
              blueboy

Thanks for getting back to me.....Yes, it is the same invoice that needs to go to different people. Therefore, I need to send this same invoice to different people with a new invoice number for each person that I send it to.

I tried what you sent me, but the hour glass just kept showing and I had to shut it off to get out of it. Of course, it could be the person behind the keyboard.

Any more suggestions.

Blueboy

• 4. Re: Duplicate Portals
                philmodjunk

It's hard to tell from this side of the computer screen :smileywink:

The hourglass indicates that most likely, the loop isn't being exited and you're getting lot's and lot's of records.

Do you have a copy of FMP adv? If so, use the debugger too to step through the script one step at a time and see where things are going wrong.

If not, then Modify the script as follows:

Set Variable [$NewInvoice, GetNextSerialValue ( get(fileName) ; YourTable::YourInvoiceID)]

Go To Related Record [Show Only Related Records ; From Table "YourPortalTable"; Using Layout "Your Layout" (YourPortalTable)]

Pause/Resume

Loop

Duplicate Record/Request

Set Field [PortalTable::InvoiceID, $NewInvoice]

Omit Record

Go To Record/Request/Page [First]

Omit Record

Pause/Resume

Exit Loop If [Get(foundcount) = 0]

End Loop

Go To layout [original layout]

Duplicate Record/Request

Run the script and watch for what happens at each step where the script pauses, are you on the right layout? What's happening to the found set? Press the numeric keypad's enter key to continue the script until it reaches the next pause and keep watching. After a few loops, you may see where things are going wrong and can fix it.

In either case, press the Esc key to interrupt the script and report back here on what you find.

• 5. Re: Duplicate Portals
                  blueboy

Ooops, I tried the new way that you sent me, but I really did something wrong this time....It made 17,643 new blank portals....

Any suggestions?

• 6. Re: Duplicate Portals
                    philmodjunk

Now I'm confused.

If the right conditions for exiting the loop aren't made, you could easily get very large numbers of records.

What I don't understand is how you could do that with the new script. It's the same as the original but with added steps that pause the script each time a new record is created. You'd have to press the return key thousands of times to get thousands of records out of it.

Hence my confusion.

You did add both new script steps to your script didn't you?

• 7. Re: Duplicate Portals
                      KIDO
                         <!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:WordDocument&gt;   &lt;w:View&gt;Normal&lt;/w:View&gt;   &lt;w:Zoom&gt;0&lt;/w:Zoom&gt;   &lt;w:PunctuationKerning/&gt;   &lt;w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/&gt;   &lt;w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;false&lt;/w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;   &lt;w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;false&lt;/w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;   &lt;w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;false&lt;/w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;   &lt;w:Compatibility&gt;    &lt;w:BreakWrappedTables/&gt;    &lt;w:SnapToGridInCell/&gt;    &lt;w:WrapTextWithPunct/&gt;    &lt;w:UseAsianBreakRules/&gt;    &lt;w:DontGrowAutofit/&gt;   &lt;/w:Compatibility&gt;   &lt;w:BrowserLevel&gt;MicrosoftInternetExplorer4&lt;/w:BrowserLevel&gt; &lt;/w:WordDocument&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=&quot;false&quot; LatentStyleCount=&quot;156&quot;&gt; &lt;/w:LatentStyles&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if !mso]&gt;&lt;object classid=&quot;clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D&quot; id=ieooui&gt;&lt;/object&gt; &lt;style&gt; st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  --><!--  /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      margin:0cm;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} @page Section1      {size:595.3pt 841.9pt;      margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;      mso-header-margin:35.4pt;      mso-footer-margin:35.4pt;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;}   --><!--  [if gte mso 10]&gt; &lt;style&gt; /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:&quot;Table Normal&quot;;      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0cm;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;} &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  -->

Hello, Blueboy

It would be much appreciated if you could give us an example of your database structure otherwise (and Phil is absolutely right) it is difficult from this side of the screen. The more information you supply, the better help you can get.

Nevertheless, I know the feeling when we are stuck with a problem and would like to help you to move on. Personally, and for identical purposes, I rather use scripts and found sets to automate certain operations; therefore, I have a different approach instead of duplicating a portal. As an example, and supposing that your database structure is similar to the one below, I would use a script with nested loops, but first you need a way to isolate (select) the data that you need to work on – companies and invoice contents.

If your db has a similar structure to this:

COMPANIES => INVOICES => INVOICE_CONTENTS

Invoice_nr     ->  Invoice_nr

Company_ID   -> Compny_ID         LineItem_ID  <-  from your items table (Item_ID)

Note: Use a check box field Value List  = “yes” in your companies table and layout to select the companies you want to send a copy of your invoice, say, comp_box. This can be used in a found set.

Then you could use a script similar to:

-------- Script generate invoices -------------

#Create a variable to store the invoice number that you wish to copy

Set Variable [$myinvoice ; Value: INVOICES::invoice_nr ] (or pass it as a scrip parameter)

# perform a find in your companies

Go to Layout [ companies]

Enter Find Mode[]

Insert Calculated Result [Select ; COMPANIES::comp_box; “yes” ]

Perform Find[]

If [ Get(FoundCount) = 0)

Halt Script

Else

#Create a variable to manipulate companies records

Set Variable [ $comp_rec ; Value: 1 ]

# create a loop to run each selected company

Loop

Go to Layout [invoices]

New Record/Request

# New invoice number auto-generated, gather its number

Set Variable [$newinvoice; INVOICES::invoice_nr]

Go to Layout [companies]

Go to Record/Request/Page [No dialog ; $comp_rec]

# pass selected company to new invoice and deselect it

Set Field [INVOICES::company ; COMPANIES::company_id]

Set Field [ COMPANIES::comp_box; “”]

# increment record variable and exit if > number of records in found set

Set Variable [$comp_rec; Value: $comp_rec + 1]

Exit Loop If[$comp_rec > Get (FoundCount)]

# prepares found set of items in invoice to be copied.

Go to Layout [invoice_contents]

Enter Find Mode[]

Insert Calculated Result [Select ; INVOICE_CONTENTS::invoice_nr; $myinvoice]

Perform Find[]

# Create a variable to manipulate invoice contents. Must be decremented to keep new records apart from the loop range of records.

Set Variable [$item_rec ; Value: Get(FoundCount) ]

Loop

Exit Loop If [ $item_rec = 0 ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [No dialog ; $item_rec]

# duplicate the record to keep its contents

Duplicate Record/Request

# change the duplicated record contents invoice number to the new invoice number

Set Field [ INVOICE_CONTENTS::Invoice_nr; $newinvoice]

Set Variable [ $item_rec; $item_rec – 1]

End Loop

End Loop

End If

Go to Layout [Original Layout]

Show All Records

# amend where and as necessary to reflect your data. 

I hope this helps.

Regards

• 8. Re: Duplicate Portals
                        blueboy
                           Is there is a way that I can attach this and send it to you, so that you can see what I'm up against and what I'm trying to do?
                        • 9. Re: Duplicate Portals
                          philmodjunk

Check your private messages. (Upper right corner, looks like an envelope.)

• 10. Re: Duplicate Portals
                            KIDO

Hi Blueboy

Click on KIDO above the icon on the left of this message to open a new screen. Then under Contact click on "Send this user a private message" and include your info.

Regards