1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 1:33 PM by philmodjunk

Duplicate record problems with popup value from another table.

JohnDeere

Title

Duplicate record problems with popup value from another table.

Hi:

I have a database in which Field  A is a popup menu, based on a value list.  Field "B" is a lookup from another table, based on a match from Field "A".   Field B is also a popup list, based on a value list which is generated from the "use values from field" check box, which links to another table, and populates the field "B" pupup menu. It may have one, or several items depending on the match.  My problem is, when I use duplicate record to save on entry time, the value in field "B", always reverts to the first item in the list, instead of keeping the selected value in the field.  I realized that if I set the field with "auto-enter last visited", it does do just that, including when using the duplicate record command.  But sometimes I don't want those fields with the previous value, I would rather enter them.  Shouldn't duplicate record do just what it says, and keep the values in field B, even if they are values generated from a match in another table?  What am I missing?

thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Duplicate record problems with popup value from another table.
          philmodjunk

Auto enter features such as a "looked up value" auto-enter setting will kick in again when you duplicate the record.

What's not clear is why you have this feature selected for field B at all since it is also set up with a drop down list of conditional values determined by the value in Field A. This type of looked up value setting is not needed unless you always want new records to automatically enter the first related value. In which case, you've already discovered one fix for that with your "auto-enter last visited" setting.