1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 11:07 AM by philmodjunk

duplicates and gathering info on the web

what?

Title

duplicates and gathering info on the web

I have two questions:

1-If I have a large list of names and the list contains duplicates (as many as 8 or ten duplicates for some names) of some of these names, how do I create a list from here without the duplicates?  I need the most up to date record of each set of duplicates.  I need to find duplicates, identify the latest record out of each set of duplicates, and omit the others, while I combine the latest duplicate record with all of the non duplicated records that I want to pull.  In other words, I want to make a list that has no duplicates, and has the most current information.

2-If I want students to be able to access their information on my database and modify it over the internet, can I do that?  If so, how?

Thanks; I've been tearing my hair out on this one!

• 1. Re: duplicates and gathering info on the web
          philmodjunk

1) Enter find mode and enter a single ! in the name field and Perform the find. Sort the records by this name field so that duplicate names are grouped. What you do next depends on your data. If you have a modification date field, you can include  this field in your sort order so that the most recently modified/created record is listed first within each group of duplicates. You can then delete or omit the older duplicates.

2) Check out Instant Web Publishing--this is an option that makes it possible for you to publish your database to the web though you'll need to research this option further to see if you can get it to work for you. There are layout limitations and technical details that have to be done just right if you plan on doing this yourself. Some people contract with a web hosting service to publish their FileMaker database to the web for a monthly fee.