AnsweredAssumed Answered

duplicates result when importing FM6 into FM6, using "match field"

Question asked by zalechadwick on Mar 8, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 by zalechadwick

Title

duplicates result when importing FM6 into FM6, using "match field"

FileMaker 6 on a PC:

--started with an existing FM6 database, "original"; made a clone with no records, "new"

--received excel files from other organizations

--imported these excel files into the "new" FM6 file

--now have two databases, "original" and "new"

--created a field entitled: "firstnamelastname" which automatically inputs the two mentioned fields; this field exists in both databases and I use it to find duplicates

--use "firstnamelastname" as a match field and import "new" FM6 database into "original" FM6 database, with "update matching records in found set," and "add remaining records" options selected with the following results:

----pre-import, "original" database had 4786 records (including 6 duplicates... that's 3 names duplicated) and "new" database has 2837 records (including 98 duplicates... 49 names duped)

----post-import, "original" database has 7040, with 1951 duplicates (sometimes there are three and four records which all show up as duplicates when I "find" "!" in the "firstnamelastname" field)

--clearly some of the records are "matching", but many are not, and yet FileMaker recognizes them as duplicates when I "find" "!", but not, apparently, when it performs the import.

any ideas?  Thanks

Outcomes