2 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 11:14 AM by philmodjunk

Duplicating a record along with tasks

AdamCampbell

Title

Duplicating a record along with tasks

I am using the task management user template. I have created a template along with standard tasks that have to be done on each record. I cannot figure out how to duplicate a record along with the tasks associated with the record. Currently if i duplicate the record the tasks are not copied.

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Duplicating a record along with tasks
          aammondd

The process would involve a script to loop through the template tasks and create new records.

If for example you had a 2 tables Basic Projects (ie building a bird house) and Project Tasks (that lists each tasks for this project)

Whenever you want to build a task in your task management system (ie all the  tasks from each project Im working on ex:user tasks table)

You would execute a script via a button identifying which project you wish to add tasks for

The logical(not syntax) execution for  this script is as follows

Set variables based on  the project id 

Go to the Project task table layout

Find the task records

go to the first record

start a loop in which

you set variables for the info the records you are going to create in  the user tasks table from  this task record

go  to the user task table create a new recor

set the values

return to the project task table

go to the next record

repeat the loop till you have processed all the tasks.

Someone else may have another approach but Id think it would follow a similar pattern

• 2. Re: Duplicating a record along with tasks
            philmodjunk

The tasks are in a related table of records so you'd need to use a script to duplicate them and update the duplicates with the appropriate ID number from the parent record.

See this thread where a script that does this duplication has been posted: Duplicating Bill Of Materials (duplicating portal line items)