1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 1:21 PM by philmodjunk

Duplicating and splitting a record in a new table

yoelcita

Title

Duplicating and splitting a record in a new table

I am trying to come up with a script to make this work:

I have one table called "Contributions" that I would like, upon record creation, to automatically duplicate and split into one or more new records in a related "Designations" table.  The majority of contributions records would only need a single "copy" created in the designations table, but I also need to be able split them in the cases when there are more than one designation for a single contribution -- based on an entry in one of the contributions fields.

For example, if a given Contributions record only needs to be designated for one item, a number field in the contributions record would be filled in "1" and there would be one new record created and opened in Designations.  If the number field were "3", however, I would need three new records created in the Designations table -- and in all of these cases, with a few fields in the new record/s automatically filled in with information from the original Contributions record (if that's possible).

Does this even make sense, and is there a logical way to do this?  Thanks for any help!!!!

• 1. Re: Duplicating and splitting a record in a new table
          philmodjunk

Presumably, you have a relationship between Contributions and Dontations that looks like this:

Contributions::ContributionID = Designations::ContributionID

If not, you need to create one and Contributions::ContributionID would be an auto-entered serial number.

The basic script looks like this:

#Run script from Contributions based layout
          Set Variable [ $ConID ; Value: Contributions::ContributionID ]
          Set Variable [ $Des ; Value: Contributions::DesignationsCount ]
          Freeze Window
          Go To Layout [Designations]
          Loop
             New Record/Request
             Set Field [ Designations::ContributionID ; $ConID ]
             Set Variable [$Des ; value: $Des - 1
             Exit loop If [ $Des < 1 ]
          End Loop
          Go To Layout [Original Layout]

You can use additional variables to move data from contributions to Designations, or you can define fields in Designations that use a Looked Up Value auto-enter option to copy the data from a matching field in Contributions. (Though if you are just copying the data, you may want to just keep that data in the contributions field.)