3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 10:32 AM by philmodjunk

Duplicating fields in one layout

WilliamCurrence

Title

Duplicating fields in one layout

I have to create a report which contains a pickup and dropoff section.  The layout is modeled after one that MSDE has provided, so I don't have much flexibility in the appearance.  Beneath the header is a body with 9 repetitions of a set of fields about documents. Each document is a record. 

So when the documents are picked up 9 are signed for at the top of the printed form.  However, I need to display the same 9 fields at the bottom of the layout for the dropoff section, where I sign to confirm the documents were returned to me. 

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Duplicating fields in one layout
          philmodjunk

Hmm is this one record or nine records?

I'd think that nine individual records might make more sense.

I'm thinking in terms of these tables:

Deliveries---<Delivery_Document>-----Documents

This assumes that you might pick up and deliver the same document more than once--I have no way of knowing if that is ever the case or not.

If so, you can create a new record in Deliveries for each time you pick up and drop off one or more documents. Portals to Deliver_Document would list the documents so transported and you can place two portals to delivery_document in the body of your layout in order to list the same documents twice.

If you never deliver the same document twice, you'd use this relationship:

Deliveries---<Documents

and your two portals would refer to documents instead of the join table.

• 2. Re: Duplicating fields in one layout
            WilliamCurrence

It will be one record for each document.  Essentially I need to make two  "body" sections, each with the same records.  The body section is set to allow 9 records before going to the next page, so when the document is full there will be 9 records on top and the identical 9 at the bottom of the page.  I don't know if that's possibe, or if I'm explaining it right, so I made a sample pic essentially showing what I need but with only 3 records on top, and the same 3 beneath. 

• 3. Re: Duplicating fields in one layout
              philmodjunk

Two identical portals to the documents table can be used for this. See my previous post for details on that option.