3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 9:50 AM by jd3

Duplicating many records at one time

jd3

Title

Duplicating many records at one time

I have a need to duplicate 365 records and would like to do this with a script or some way that will take the least amount of time. I would like to change some values to "0" in two of the fields as they duplicate. Is this possible?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Duplicating many records at one time
          Sorbsbuster

Try:

Find the 365 records.

Export all records, all fields, into an FP7 file

Import the records with the options: matching fields, and creating new records

The imported records will be your new 'found set' when the import finishes. Click into the first field and choose Records -> Replace Field Contents... and set to be 0.  Repeat for the other field.

If you want to do it regularly you could script that.

• 2. Re: Duplicating many records at one time
            philmodjunk

Export all records, all fields, into an FP7 file

Or just use Import Records to pull a copy of these records into a separate table in the same file that you already have.

Are you sure you really need to duplicate a year's worth of records (At least that what 365 records suggest to me) like this?

Maybe there's a simpler way that would eliminate the need for this.

• 3. Re: Duplicating many records at one time
              jd3

Thanks for your help..

This is a forecasting project in which all machine models are forecasted each year. Most of the sales models do not change, only the projected sales count per model changes. I am moving from an Excel file to FM hoping this will be easier to manage. Each sales model falls into a specific category, however sometimes the model may move to a different catefory which is a big formating problem with a spreadsheet application. We have three sales regions with the same sales models which is the primary reason to duplicate the records. Anyway, we start the process over each year in January so rather than to enter each sales model for each region, duplicating the records seems like the best approach to me.

Hope this gives you enough information to understand my issues... Thanks!