4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 10:14 AM by MikeyG79

Duplicating Records

djhcms

Title

Duplicating Records

Hi!  I'm fairly new to Filemaker as I've recently inherited managing the database we have at work. I work in an academic department at a college and we're trying to clean up the database we currently use a bit. 

We use the system to keep records of all of our students - everything from address information to graduation date to "worksheets" that outline and track their progress through their program. Every student has a unique program as our department is customizable.  Occasionally, our advisors will work up two different plans of study for one student. We already have everyone in the database, but when we click "duplicate record" to create a second version of a worksheet, any changes on the new one are reflected on the old one.  

Thoughts on how I might be able to create a duplicate that's separate from the original?  Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Duplicating Records
          mrvodka
             What table occurrence is the worksheet based off of? Seems to me like you may be duplicating the parent record and not the child record. Without more information, I dont think we can accurate assess you situation.
          • 2. Re: Duplicating Records
            philmodjunk

I'd check out the structure of your database carefully. I can't tell from here, but suspect that you have fields in your layout from two or more tables. WHen you duplicate a record the current record in the table that is referenced by your layout is duplicated, but the data in other related records remains unchanged. Because the key fields in the duplicate record are the same as those found in the original record, they both point to the same set of related records. Thus, changes to these fields from related records will appear on both original and duplicated records.

To do what you want, you'll need to learn more about how your database is designed and use a script to duplicate the records in each table and update the key fields in new main record to link to the new copies.

• 3. Re: Duplicating Records
              djhcms

There are two different tables (CMSStudent and CMSWorksheet) - the CMSWorksheet fields are being viewed in the CMSStudent table.  

I will need to come up with some sort of script to duplicate both, then.  

Thanks! 

• 4. Re: Duplicating Records
                MikeyG79
                   Shouldn't duplicate the student record, just the worksheet. So multiple worksheets can be tied to a single student.