3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 8:39 AM by philmodjunk

Duplicating records with new version

jessicaemler

Title

Duplicating records with new version

I recently made a post about duplicating records.

I was able to use the script shown below to duplicate.

Is there any way that i can duplicate this record, and keep the same project number, but with a different version? For example:

Job number 1005

then when i want to create a duplicate invoice with some minor changes: Job number 1005.1, 1005.a, or 1005v1

Screen_shot_3.png

• 1. Re: Duplicating records with new version
          philmodjunk

If you add a version field, you can add this set field step after duplicating the invoice record:

Set FIeld [Project::Version ; Project::Version + 1]

Then you can use an auto-entered calculation on yet another new field to combine the job number and the version values into a single value if such is needed. (You can use layout text and merge fields to display this same result without any added field to combine the two.)

__kp_Job_Number & "." & Version

• 2. Re: Duplicating records with new version
            jessicaemler

Thank you!

also, recently i saw that you posted a link to the explainations on kp and kf field designations, etc.

Could you repost that?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Duplicating records with new version
              philmodjunk

kp stands for "primary key"--the field that is defined to uniquely identify each record in the table where the field is defined. kf stands for "foreign key", this is the match field in a related table--often it matches to the primary key field of the table to which it is linked, but not always.

I think this is the link you wanted: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

Please note that this is a link that was originally started as an easy way to help folks understand the notation I most often use when suggesting a particular set of relationships. I think the naming convention that I use in it is pretty decent, but it's far from the only set of such "conventions" you might use.