2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 8:05 AM by disabled_rcmiller9

Duplicating Toolbar Elements

Title

Duplicating Toolbar Elements

In the application I'm working on, I have removed the toolbar from the user's view.  I'm doing this primarily to gain the vertical screen area for other functions.  I want to include some of the elements of the toolbar (e.g. Next, Previous, New Record, Find, etc.) elsewhere on the screen and I've done this with buttons.  So far, it's been an easy process.  However, I'm having problems creating an alternative for the areas shown below.

(I don't care to include the pie chart or the slider.)  And, I would like to include the actual record ID number rather than the "position" number that is displayed on the left.  I'm aware of the Get functions that return the numbers of total records and the found records; and, so far,  I've successfully displayed these numbers as merged variables.  However, I can't come up with a plan that updates these values under all the circumstances that a user might invoke.

I've looked at the various databases that are available in the public domain, including the FM Starter Solutions, and I've found no examples to study.  Anyone have any suggestions where I might look for help with this issue?  

elements.jpg

• 1. Re: Duplicating Toolbar Elements
          philmodjunk

While are are ways to update your variables you don't need them. In layout mode, pull down the insert menu and review the options for inserting symbols. You can find symbols to insert for the record number, the found count and the total records in the table.

To get a record ID, it depends on exactly what you mean by that, but you can either put a serial number field on your layout or use a calculation filed define as: Get ( RecordID ). (These values are not the same, but are often confused with each other.)

• 2. Re: Duplicating Toolbar Elements

Thank you much.  I think it's time for me to re-read the User's Manual and discover other answers that should be obvious.