AnsweredAssumed Answered

Dwindling many-to-many structural issues...

Question asked by timc on Sep 16, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Dwindling many-to-many structural issues...

Hi there,

I'm working on creating a lesson planning resource which, apart from retaining a complete lesson plan history in one db (as opposed to far too many XL spreads), it prints an individual lesson plan map...

To explain a little of the detail, each lesson consists of a set of objectives and a set of steps. The steps include a length of time and a referencing number to the start PPT slide and this step's end slide along with ref dropdowns and text boxes.

Given a many to many scenario, I opted for record creation via two portals in the join table while printing is handled from the Lectures layout where I can slide fields...

While this works for umpteen lecture records and their multiple objectives and steps, the problem is slide numbering...

I wanted a dwindling dropdown to reference the starting slide and another for the ending slide. To do this I've employed a Brian Dunning custom numrange function to fill the missing between-values (cSlideRange), converting this to a list (cMySlides) and making this list a "selected" valuelist. This valuelist is then captured (cMySlideVL) to form a 'not equal to' relationship, providing a valuelist of "unselected" slide numbers...

All good except that adding a second record at Join level doesn't 'reset' the slide numbering drop-down. So if I've used say 20 slides in lecture 1, lecture 2 should offer slide 1 rather than slide 21 as it currently does...

Needless to say, this is an 'organic' build and not properly thought-through! Not illustrated are all my flailing/failed attempts to add a match-field 'f_id' to the slide table, the increasing relational complexity of which has led me to wonder whether adding so many records purely to offer a range of numbers makes any sense... Just to stress, nothing goes in these slide records, in theory I'm just using the id number (if it weren't for the fact that the second slide's serials would begin at 81).

I'd appreciate any directional pointers anybody can offer. Thanks for looking.

lecture.jpg

Outcomes