3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2009 9:19 AM by marcusedward

Dynamic / Automatic Value Lists for Accounts

carlz_1

Title

Dynamic / Automatic Value Lists for Accounts

FM 10.

Is there any way to have a value list automatically created from the listing of Accounts?  There is no Table for Accounts that I can see.  Basically, whenever a new user is given access to the program, I would like to have it set up so that that name is automatically included in a Value list.

Thanks for your insight.

• 1. Re: Dynamic / Automatic Value Lists for Accounts
          Orlando

Hi carlz

Sorry but there is no way I know of to get a list of accounts setup in the database file, only the current account name. The only way for you to do this would be to setup a users table to manage a separate user list, and reference that name field for your value list, or manually add names to directly to the value list. 

• 2. Re: Dynamic / Automatic Value Lists for Accounts
            philmodjunk

I have a solution where I needed a table listing all the user names.

Create a table to store the user names.

Write a script that compares Get(username) to the entries in the table.

If the user name is not in the table, add it.

Set the script to run at log in.

This way my table of user names automatically adds new user names the first time that client logs on to the system.

Substitute Get(AccountName) for Get(UserName) and the same trick would build a table of Account names.

You can then define a value list the pulls up account names from this table.

• 3. Re: Dynamic / Automatic Value Lists for Accounts
              marcusedward

Orlando wrote:

Hi carlz

Sorry but there is no way I know of to get a list of accounts setup in the database file, only the current account name. The only way for you to do this would be to setup a users table to manage a separate user list, and reference that name field for your value list, or manually add names to directly to the value list. 

You can take the "user" table a step further by creating scripts that will create (or edit) the FMP file user account based on the information you've placed in your user table (name, privilge set, enabled, disabled).  This removes the need for double entry.  This also allows you to create a custom interface for end users to change permissions without giving them access to the actual "accounts and privliges" settings.  
              Hope this helps,
              Marcus