9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 8:53 AM by StevenWilliams

Dynamic Menus - Conditional value

StevenWilliams

Title

Dynamic Menus - Conditional value

Ok I am a newcomer to this database thing so please don't Slam me to hard lol...

I'm working on putting together a simple database, Pending the Project would giving me the manufacture, Product, style and color options. If my photo bellow work out you will see I have a table for each one of my options and request but the problem is 1st as I move alone with each table the pop ups are work as follows, Pick a Project (Roofing) then under Manufactures it should only show the Roofing Manufactures. I am getting a list of them all not just the roofing. this problem is going on in each one of my tables. The final table is the Customer I want to assign a project but as I pick each Category I get the full list with in that table. I'm stumped!

Thank you for helping this new comer

Steven

My Layout Hope this is helpful

• 1. Re: Dynamic Menus - Conditional value
          philmodjunk

Apologies for the size of this "info dump" but there's a lot out there on conditional value lists.

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12 or later, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in your version of FileMaker.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 2. Re: Dynamic Menus - Conditional value
            StevenWilliams

Thank you PhilModJunk, will review your links tonight and hope that does it. Will let you no either way

• 3. Re: Dynamic Menus - Conditional value
              StevenWilliams

Ok guys I have not had much problems working though filemaker building my database but wow after a week of following the links above and studding relationships one would think I would have figured this out but I'm not. I'm asking for some help on how this should be put together here.

I have multiple tables one for each category as follows, Project, Manufacture, Product, Type and Color . With the relationship set correctly I should be able to select the Item that matches based on my selection from the last table. This is how I set the relationship:

RELATIONSHIP

Linked each table together with ID (number) link to ParentID (number) See attached Photo. With the Last table set with a second occurrence which is set back to the Project which should bring me all the subcategories that match that Project.

VALUE

"Project Type= Project ID"  and "Project Type = Parent ID"

"Manufacture= Manufacture ID"  and "Manufacture = Parent ID"

" Manufacture Brand= Manufacture Brand ID"  and " Manufacture Brand = Parent ID"

" Manufacture Brand Type= Manufacture Brand Type ID"  and " Manufacture Brand Type = Parent ID" "sort by Project Color :: Manufacture Product Color"

What is it that I may be missing here?

Thank You

Steven

• 4. Re: Dynamic Menus - Conditional value
                philmodjunk

On a layout based on what table are you setting up this value list?

• 5. Re: Dynamic Menus - Conditional value
                  StevenWilliams

Thank You PhilModJunk,

I didn't want to miss lead you and because I am a visual type of person I drew out what I thought your looking for. Hope this helps you...

Thank You Again!

Steven

• 6. Re: Dynamic Menus - Conditional value
                    philmodjunk

Sorry, but It doesn't answer the question.

You are trying to get a conditional value list to work on a layout. Please open Layout Set and report the name shown in "Show Records From" in this dialog. Relationships evaluate from a "context", a particular record in a particular table via a specific table occurrence. The table occurrence is the name you'll find in this drop down list.

• 7. Re: Dynamic Menus - Conditional value
                      StevenWilliams

Sorry about that, Here you go..

• 8. Re: Dynamic Menus - Conditional value
                        philmodjunk

That value list will be empty if there is no related record in MFG Brand Type. If there is such a record, you should see a list of all colors that have a record with the same Project as the project of the related Brand Type record. You can double check the relationships used in a conditional value list by putting a portal to the value list's table occurrence on the layout of your "starting from" table occurrence. In this case, that would be a portal to MFG Color sort by project placed on your Mfg Color layout. The values shown in the portal should match the values in your conditional value list.

• 9. Re: Dynamic Menus - Conditional value
                          StevenWilliams

Got it now Thank you... Took a break and fit it this morning was done with that in 5 min... Some times its good to clear ones head lol