2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 1:52 PM by datamooover

Dynamic Number Formatting

datamooover

Title

Dynamic Number Formatting

Dear Forum -

Our users are running FileMaker 9 on Windows XP and have their PCs set for various countries.  FileMaker is great about displaying dates in the correct format according to the PC settings, but not currencies.  Is there some way to display a number field in US currency format (1,000.00) to some users and EU currency format (1.000,00) to others in an elegant manner? 

Here are things I have already tried / contemplated:

- I know that if I leave a number field in "General Format", then the PC country settings will be considered for a decimal point, if entered, but then the number does not always show the decimal nor a thousands separator and does not appear as currency.  If I remove "General Format" and select 2 decimal places in the Number Format window, then I must select a decimal and thousands operator character, which is not dynamic by user and appears to override the users' PC country settings.

- I know that I can use conditional formatting based on a global setting and overlap two fields, etc, but that is very messy and there are hundreds of layouts in the solution with price fields...  ugh.  This is a last-resort solution!

Please advise, thanks!

• 1. Re: Dynamic Number Formatting
          philmodjunk

Perhaps you could format your number field with everything but the currency character. Then place a one character calculation field that displays the appropriate currency character.

• 2. Re: Dynamic Number Formatting
            datamooover

Hi Phil,

Sorry, I should have titled this post as "Dynamic Number Formatting", as the problem is not with the actual currency but with the formatting of the price in the number field.   The currency is currently stored in a separate field and is not part of the problem.

Let me clarify:

A user enters 5000 as a price (a number field.)  For a user in USA, this number field displays as "5,000.00", which is correct, using FMP number formatting (set to 2 decimal places, using "." as the decimal divider and "," as the thousands divider.)  For a user in Europe, however, this number still displays as "5,000.00" due to that same number formatting, which overrides the PC regional settings.  Basically, I need to display that number field in the right format for users in Europe, which is "5.000,00" (note the difference in the decimal character and the thousands character.)

Any additional ideas?  Thanks!