2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 5:32 AM by SteveMartino

Dynamic object size

GuyLetcher

Title

Dynamic object size

I have recently started to make a database using Filemaker Pro. In one of my forms, I have a text box/object that needs to take a variable amount of text data. I have created a text box, but I need to find a way to set the text object to a relatively small size for the sake of appearances on the form, but which will expand when I click on it, to display all the information (I have done this, and use a scroll bar to scroll through the text), but which will also display and print all the data in the text box when I preview and print. Possible (it is with Microsoft Access, so I assume it is with Filemaker)? I have searched through the "manuals, but can only find information on sliding, that comes closest to answering this query, but seems to suggest that a larger object will become smaller when printing, but not a smaller object can become larger as well?

• 1. Re: Dynamic object size
          philmodjunk

Your research is correct and complete. You can shrink fields but not expand them for print/preview purposes. This can be irritating as MS Access has had this capability for years. To get the needed results in FileMaker, you need to use one layout for data entry and another layout for printing. In the Print layout, you then make the field larger than you ever expect to need and set it to slide up and to resize the enclosing part. You also will need to do this for all objects next to and below that field that are in the same layout part--including graphic objects such as a horizontal line.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
          • 2. Re: Dynamic object size
            SteveMartino

Sadly yes, a smaller object wont grow larger. Usually you make the text box large enough to accommodate the largest amount of text.  Then using 'sliding up' and 'also resize enclosing part'.  The sliding will only appear in Preview Mode, and when you print.  For this reason it may be easier to have the layout you work with/enter data with the smaller text box and scroll bar, and a separate layout for printing that has the larger text box and sliding.