3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 10:39 AM by philmodjunk

Dynamic Read Only fields

DaleDean

Title

Dynamic Read Only fields

I am new to FM and I am trying to figure out how to make a field 'read ony' based on the results of secondary field.  any thoughts for the lost?

Thanks,

Dale

• 1. Re: Dynamic Read Only fields
          philmodjunk

Can you provide an example?

This sounds like your field need only be defined as a calculation field that references teh secondary field, but in some circumstances, you may be able to put the secondary field on your layout and ban user access to the field when in browse mode instead.

• 2. Re: Dynamic Read Only fields
            DaleDean

Thanks for the quick response.

I am creating a db for our EMS training dept.  They have specific skills that they need to show proficiency in completing.  there are a number of skills with differing amount of items to be tested on.  Example - Intubation has 10 questions and IV starts has 5.  when I go to create a form to capture the testing results, I only want the questions to show that are related to that specific skill.  I want the EMS director to be able to create test scripts dynamically.  So, based on the field "numberofquestions" I will hide and make readonly the questions higher that the field 'numberofquestions".  I've attached the simply relationship print for your review as well.  perhaps, I'm also making this more difficult than it should.  tyring to learn FM at the same time.

much thanks for your reponse and help.

Dale

• 3. Re: Dynamic Read Only fields
              philmodjunk

That looks like an overly symplistic set of tables and relationships.

I'd make each question a separate record rather than a separate field in the same record. Then the relationship between a skill and the questions associated with it can bring up the correct set of records to list the correct set of quesitons.