4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2012 3:15 PM by TurtleKoala

Dynamic report headers

TurtleKoala

Title

Dynamic report headers

Hello People,

I have heard that tabs were changed up a bit in Filemaker 12, so I should clarify that I am using Filemaker 11.

I have a report that has a leading sub-summary when sorted by category. Each category has different fields. I have it working so that the correct information is showing for each record based on its category, but I am trying to put category specific headers in the leading sub-summary part. At first, I put all of the headers on a single line with a lot of overlapping occurring. I then used conditional formatting to set their color to black when they were the correct header for the given category, and gray (the background color) when they were not the correct header for the category. Unforunately, setting them to the background color was not the same thing as making them invisible because if an unused header was in front of a used header, the desired header would be obscured.

Now I am trying to use a tab control, where each tab has a different set of headers, and the tabs are invisible. However, it seems that the tab control for each category is set to the same tab i.e. I can't have the first tab selected for category one, and the second tab selected for category two. Is there any way to make Filemaker do this? Also, if not, would this be possible in Filemaker 12? I doubt we will upgade to 12, as we would have to update about 10 liscences, but who noes.

Unfortunately, I assume that I'll have to make some of the headers into calculation fields, which is a bit of a pain as the headers don't line up particularly nicely. Also, I curently only have 5 different categories, but I expect this number to grow, and as the number grows, the calculation fields will become more cumbersome.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TK

• 1. Re: Dynamic report headers
          philmodjunk

Instead of using tabs, go back to using conditional formatting.

Instead of trying to make fields invisible by changing their font color, use the More formatting option and set them to a font size 100 pts or larger to make them invisible. This leaves them trans parent so that you can layer different conditionally formatted fields on top of each other.

• 2. Re: Dynamic report headers
            TurtleKoala

Thanks, it seems like that will work. Sorry it took so long to respond.

• 3. Re: Dynamic report headers
              TurtleKoala

Actually, I thought it was working but i think that the font size solution is causing an issue. The records are not a fixed size, they are very large, to allow for about three pages of information per record, and everything inside is set to slide up and resize enclosing part. Unfortunately, it appears that making the headers in the leading subsummary giant is causing the records to not resize. I'm kind of exhausted and a bit sick, so I'm not thinking very straight. If I'm imssing something obvious then I apologize. Hopefully when I come in tomorrow it will be obvious, but in case this is actually an issue, is there ay solution?

Thanks,

TK

• 4. Re: Dynamic report headers
                TurtleKoala

Never mind