4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 10:39 AM by philmodjunk

Dynamic text field width and placement

AaronHamilton_1

Title

Dynamic text field width and placement

I have a field that I am using as part of a simple breadcrumb to lead users back to the previous layout. In this instance I am viewing/editting a Sub Section layout of the User Profile and I want to link back to the User Profile layout.

I would like this field to auto size the width to fit the person's name. I would typically just set the size of the field to be bigger than needed to accomodate but I want to add the page title of the current layout just to the right of the user's name.

ex:

User Name / Sub Section Layout

My questions:

1. Can the width of the User Name text field be dynamic to the amount of content?

2. Can I set the Sub Section Title's x_position to be relative to User Name field?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Dynamic text field width and placement
          philmodjunk

By "sub section" do  you mean "sub Summary"?

Here's how to get what you need in browse mode:

Enter layout mode.

Click on the text tool and then  draw a rectangle where you want your two fields. Use the Insert menu to insert the two fields as merge fields. You can insert a space character or two bewteen the fields if desired.

• 2. Re: Dynamic text field width and placement
            AaronHamilton_1

No. I am actually on another layout entirely modifying information in a related table.

• 3. Re: Dynamic text field width and placement
              AaronHamilton_1

You answer helped me realize how to get dynamic text into a button. Thank you!

But this doesn't solve my problem. I'd like to have "User Name" clickable. This is solved by adding a merge field into the button text.

The problem that still exits is that I need the button width to be dynamic to fit the various lengths of User Names. Secondly I need to position the "Page Title x_position to be relative to the User Name button.

User Name  /  Page Title

• 4. Re: Dynamic text field width and placement
                philmodjunk

If you make BOTH fields merge fields in the same text block, the position of "Page Title" will be relative to the width of the data in User Name.

You have a choice, unfortunately: either you can have this change dynamically or you can set it up as text for a button object. You can't have both if you need to see this in browse mode. (There's a sliding field option that works for preview/printing/PDFs)

But, you can select the entire text object--that contains both fields and use button setup to make the entire object into a button. That may or may not work for you.

PS. and dynamic text for a button does not have to be set up as a merge field though it often is. A regular field option can also be used and access to the field can still be prevented.