AnsweredAssumed Answered

Dynamically Generated Summaries and Statistics

Question asked by lime_tree on Nov 4, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Dynamically Generated Summaries and Statistics

Hello, I am quite new to File Maker and I have started working on a sales database, which requires several complex functions that I cannot seem to properly do, they are listed below, if someone would be able to help me solve these problems or give advice on the approach, I would greatly appreciate that.

About the database:

It has 4 sales reps that gather contact details from potental customers and move theese contacts through 8 stages, from introduction to our ptoduct to a closed sale. The main purpose of this database (aslde from gathering contact information) is to track performance of the 4 sales reps as the commision they get is based on the number of contacs they add to the database, and how many they manage to close.

1) In the main layout of the database there is a section that needs to show various summary data on performance of each rep. This will be used as a motivational tool. Is this possible?

2) If it is, the summary section will need to show the tree sections below. The first section of summary data is a list of 10 potential customers at the last stage of the sales process - the ones that are ready to close the sale.

This list does not depend on the sales rep name, it depends on the stage number that the potential customer is on and the estimated closing date. The question here is: how do I show top 10 records independently of the rep name and how do I make sure that it is dynamically generated? I tried doing it via a portal, but it only shows one record every time.

3) The next section needs to show a count of potential customers at different stages for each sales rep. Example below:

Rep #1 - total number contacts in stage 1+2, 3+4, 5+6, 7+8.

Rep #2 - total number contacts in stage 1+2, 3+4, 5+6, 7+8.

And so on...

In this case I do not know how to even start - do I need summary fields for each stage? If so, how do I make sure that only stages for customers under a particular sales rep are shown?

4) The last section shows the average number of contacts that each sales adds on a: daily, weekly and monthly basis. Example below:

Rep #1 - average number of contacts added per day; per week; per month.

Rep #2 - average number of contacts added per day; per week; per month.

And so on...

Again, here I don't know how to start. I had an idea about counting the number of records created by each user, but I do not know how to separate them into daily/weekly/monthly groups and particularly how to make those numbers into an average for each sales rep, that does not change as one browses through the records in the database.

I am not advanced in coding at all, but I understand the logic behind File Maker databases quite well. If someone could let me know how to start going about the above tasks, I will pick it up fast. I just do not know how to properly begin these so that the database does not get unnecessarily complicated. Is this too complex for a beginner user?

Thank you very much for your help.

Outcomes