3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 10:35 PM by bumper

Dynamically increase or decrease the size of portal

Rajkumar

Title

Dynamically increase or decrease the size of portal

Can anyone pls tell me that, is there any way to dynamically increase or decrease the size of the portal?

Actually, i want to create a portal in such a way that if a new record is inserted in the related layout, then obviously a new row in the related portal will be inserted, but apart from this what i want is, the size of the portal will increase that means i don't want a scroller to see the next row.

As in screenshot it can be seen that initially we were having 2rows only, and a phone type field exist outside the portal, but when more records were inserted in related layout, then the size of the portal has increased, and the field phone type goes down.

Any suggestion will be immensely appreciated.

screenshot.JPG

• 1. Re: Dynamically increase or decrease the size of portal
          philmodjunk

That's not something you can do in FileMaker. The number of portals are fixed. You can set the portal to have a very large number of portal rows and set it to "Slide up, Resize enclosing part" and then the unused space in the portal will be removed when you print or preview the report.

Another option that is possible is to not use a portal at all but use a list view layout based on the portal's table. Data from the parent table can be put on this layout--often in headers and/or sub summary parts. Such a layout is usually used for printing, but it can be used for data entry also.

• 2. Re: Dynamically increase or decrease the size of portal
            Rajkumar

Hey, but i saw somewhere,  such a problem has a solution, may be.. making use of some external plug-in....

pls reply for any idea.

• 3. Re: Dynamically increase or decrease the size of portal
              bumper

Best as I can tell you cannot change the size of a portal by itself. However, if you anchor the portal to the bottom of the window you can change the size of the window based on the found count of the portal, a script trigger and resize window script step, within a nested if or case statement. 

I'm not sure how much your users will appreciate this "benefit" over the window resizing vs. using the scroll bar, but it will increase the number of visible rows.