5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2012 2:30 PM by Sorbsbuster

Edit a specific value list in a script??

FMNewbie

Title

Edit a specific value list in a script??

Hi folks,

Is there a way to allow a user to edit a specific value list in a script step?  I realize you can use the "Open Manage Value Lists" function, but I just want to open one specific value list for the user to edit.   Is there a way to do that?? 

• 1. Re: Edit a specific value list in a script??
          philmodjunk

If it's a custom value list, you can enable the "allow editing of value list" option in the inspector's data tab. Then you get an edit option in the value list that will open a dialog where the user can edit values.

If it's a value list with the "Use values from field" option, you can use a script to pull up the values on a layout based on the values table or in a portal where the user can edit the values as needed.

• 2. Re: Edit a specific value list in a script??
            FMNewbie

It's a custom value list, but I'd like for only "admin level" staff to be able to edit it.  I suppose if I had the drop-down list on a layout that only "admin level" staff could access, then they could edit it from there.  That works....

Thanks once again.

• 3. Re: Edit a specific value list in a script??
              philmodjunk

There's also a security setting for privilege sets that control which privilege sets can modify a value list.

• 4. Re: Edit a specific value list in a script??
                Mingrl88

Hi Phil,

In regards to what you posted above about the security setting for value lists. I created a privilege set and said that all value lists are "view only" which I interpret to mean they can not edit the value list. However I have tested this multiple times and I can still select from the drop down menu the "edit" option and edit the list. I am wondering if the "view only" is for "manage value lists" and not for value lists in drop down menus?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Edit a specific value list in a script??
                  Sorbsbuster

I would often have a Preferences table with one record, used to store data such as the contents of value lists.  You can base the value list on a dedicated field in that table, and then use the Privilege Settings to control who can edit that field.  That's just a slight variation on your existing idea of putting the field on a layout for that particular purpose.