2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 7:22 AM by Capt-Tuttle

edit box - display data from 1 of three possible sources

Capt-Tuttle

Title

edit box - display data from 1 of three possible sources

FileMaker Pro 10 Windows NT

Not a database guy and just learning FM

It is a production / parts database, in FM, made by someone else that I am tapping into for customer service related issues. The existing database is made of many tables that lead to three top level product line tables, each keyed for PartNumber, RevisionLevel, and SerialNumber which is the common relationship I can access these tables using PN,RL,SN as the relationship and pull warranty information from them. However, to display the information I am using an edit box and because the data can come from 1 of three tables I am using three edit boxes per item. What I want to do is have a single edit box / item and have it display the data. So I somehow need to have the edit box look at all three tables but only display data from the matching (PN,RL,SN) return

Example: Product A

PN

RL

SN

Warranty Info

Product B                     My Table Relationship to all three products tables

PN                               PN

RL                                RL

SN                               SN

Warranty Info 

Product C

PN

RL

SN

Warranty Info

I enter a PN, RL, and SN for Product A On my layout I have three edit boxes 

Warranty Product A                 Warranty Product B     Warranty Product C

Warranty info displayed                       Blank                            Blank

What I want is a single entry box displaying Warranty info from any of the three tables, knowing that if there is a PN,RL,SN relationship match it can only come from one of those tables. Can this be done and can someone point me in the right direction to get started. I am not using the right words in my searches to find anything on this. 

Thanks