6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2010 1:40 PM by philmodjunk

Edit Value LIst (Using Value LIst from another file)

MacMonkey

Title

Edit Value LIst (Using Value LIst from another file)

Hello,

I am new to FMP11 and I am trying to crosswalk my MS Access knowledge over to FMP version 11.  I am trying to put together a simple drop down for a group called Family.  I created a table with all the Family names listed.  I opened my "Collection" table and sought to define a drop down using the value list route.

I am able to map to the file that I want to open, but I do not get a "value list" in the define menu.  I get a shadow below the Value List.  It looks like it is trying to make a read connection, but fails to bring back any information from the table.  I have checked to make sure the data types are the same.  They are text fields. 

Any advice?

• 1. Re: Edit Value LIst (Using Value LIst from another file)
          philmodjunk

Your text field holding family names should be a stored indexed field--and indexing turns on automatically when you unless you specifically select otherwise for the field--so that's unlikely to be the cause here...

I'm not sure I follow your description on how you are setting up your value list. Compare what you've done to these steps.

Select Manage | Value Lists... from the File menu

Click New

Click the Use Values from field option

Select your Families table from the drop down and click the Family field to highlight it.

Leave all other settings in their default settings and click OK.

Enter Layout and select the field on your Collections layout you want to format.

Use the Inspector pallet to specify a drop down list, pop-up menu, check boxes or radio buttons

Select the value list you created in Manage | Value Lists...

Return to Browse mode and test

• 2. Re: Edit Value LIst (Using Value LIst from another file)
            fitch

If you want to show only names for the related family, see if this helps.

• 3. Re: Edit Value LIst (Using Value LIst from another file)
              MacMonkey

Phil,

Pardon my sparse initial message.  I am following the help FMP11 tutorial and it matches with your guidance.  The problem begins on the Inspector as I select to define a new "Value From" and the Manage Values for "Collections" opens to allow for an new list creation. 

The Edit Value window opens and I type in a new name for the list and click the second choice (use value from another file).  The "unknown" drop down is activated and I am able to select the table.  The table only has one field of data.  Here is where the problem stops all progress.  The value list dos not display my field choices, and the "OK" button remains grey.

I was able to get it to work with an .xls import to a table, but not when I create a table by hand.  I am using Win XP with FMP11.

Thanks,

• 4. Re: Edit Value LIst (Using Value LIst from another file)
                philmodjunk

There's the problem: "and click the second choice (use value from another file). " the second choice use a value list from another file. You use that when you have already defined a value list in a separate file (not a table.)

I am suggesting you use the first option to specify a value from a field. That draws values directly from a field--not a value list defined in another file.

• 5. Re: Edit Value LIst (Using Value LIst from another file)
                  MacMonkey

I also discovered that if I converted data from an .xls file, it will create the index.  If I build the table, it does not default to index on condition.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I also appreciate the other great advice on other ways to streamline the data entry using Value Lists with secondary information. 

• 6. Re: Edit Value LIst (Using Value LIst from another file)
                    philmodjunk

Unless you specify otherwise, indexing will be enabled on an "as needed" basis.

Using a field as the source field for a value list is one of those actions that will turn on indexing. Using it to define a relationship is another.