5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 8:50 AM by philmodjunk

Edit/Exit Layout intermittent.

AramTokatian

Title

Edit/Exit Layout intermittent.

Greetings FM users:

I am kind of an x-Lotus Approach user now, and am trying to get used to FM. Please advise.

When I am in Table view (an entry form I made) and go to 'edit layout', the status tool bars change from when you are in browse mode. When exiting layout, (after making form changes)  sometimes the browse tool bars on the top do not return, and it appears like it is still in edit layout mode, even though it is not. What am I missing here?

Aram

Edit-exit_layout.png

• 1. Re: Edit/Exit Layout intermittent.
          philmodjunk

Exactly how do you "exit" the layout?

If you pull down the help menu and select "About FileMaker", what is the exact version of FileMaker that you are using?

Are you using a Mac system? What version?

This sounds like a known issue with FileMaker 11. For More Information see:     OS X Lion: Wrong toolbars show in different modes

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: Edit/Exit Layout intermittent.
            AramTokatian

Thank you Philmod:

On the very right above, you'll see "Edit Layout" which turns into "Exit layout" while editing. I just click on it after finished editing, and the tool bar  does not revert back to the lower photo posted.

Version is Pro-13.

I will check the know issue list. Let's see what I can find. I am not sure what has been fixed in my version.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Edit/Exit Layout intermittent.
              philmodjunk

In Preferences, what option for saving your layout changes have you specified?

If you have selected "save layout changes automatically", test your solution with this option cleared to see if it makes a difference.

• 4. Re: Edit/Exit Layout intermittent.
                AramTokatian

Okay.. unchecked as per above. BTW... PC W7 not MAC. I think it helped, but not 100% sure yet. If I make a change on the layout, it seems to work okay. If i DO NOT make any changes on layout and click exit layout, the top view remains shown above, it will not go back to the larger icons. There seems to be some confusion between selecting edit/exit layout button on the right or selecting layout, browse, etc. from the status bar on the bottom, and doing the same under the menu -->View. I think if you go from the menu, it doesn't allow the large icons to return, unless you close out and reopen the file.

A.....

• 5. Re: Edit/Exit Layout intermittent.
                  philmodjunk

Do you see this issue only on a particular file or group of files?

If you create a new, from scratch test file, do you see the same behavior?

This is a standard test to see if an issue--such as file corruption--might be a factor in the bug like behavior you see.