5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2009 7:57 AM by comment_1

Editable spreadsheet

dinora

Title

Editable spreadsheet

I am building prices on my database -  My products are tours - A tour can have different price depending on the number of participants -  So what I am thinking of doing is developing a grid

Min 2

Min 4

Min 6

Etc

And each for each one of these labels a price will be entered

Is there anyway that the labels Min 2 Min 4 Min 6 can be editable so that if some one gives me a price for a min 3 pax I can change the lable min 2 to min 3 for this record only?

Thanks

Dinora  

• 1. Re: Editable spreadsheet
          comment_1

You shouldn't be using labels for this to begin with. There should a Prices table with a RECORD for each price, with fields for:

TourID

MinPax

Price

This table should be related to your Tours table by matching on TourID, and to your ordering table as:

Orders::TourID = Prices::TourID

AND

Orders:: Pax ≥ Prices::MinPax

• 2. Re: Editable spreadsheet
            dinora

Thank you - I understand - however my issue is that I do not want to have to type for each record the min number of guests and thus my idea of having editable labels that are pre-filled but editable in the event I need to change it

Can this be done so for one tour rather than having 10 records each record indicating the

min pax

Price

Can I have for each tour a prebuilt grid that shows

Min 2 

Min 4

Min 6

Whereas I will enter the price - for each on the same record number for that tour but if I need to edit min 2 to say min 3 I can do so by editing min 2 to min 3 for this record only.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Editable spreadsheet
              comment_1

There are ways to automate data entry by scripts and auto-entered values.

The problem with your method that although the data is there, it's unusable. You won't be able to select a tour and the number of guests in one place, and lookup the correct price from your grid. 

• 4. Re: Editable spreadsheet
                dinora

Thanks you are correct -  My goal is actually not to use the data to select number of guests and then tour price populates.  I have too many variables in my business whereas is not as straight forward as to just gettin the number of guests and the price

My goal is to have a depository record to enter prices for a tour, and while the data is not usable for calculation it is usable as a reference table -  Makes sense?

So the record will be

Tour Name = Miami City tour

Then pre fill the following labels

Min 2

Min 4

Etc

So back to my question how do I make these fields editable for this particular tour in the event I want min 2 to read min3 for this tour?

• 5. Re: Editable spreadsheet
                  comment_1

You could use fields with auto-entered data as your labels: field Label1 auto-enters  "Min 2", etc.

However, this is a "data graveyard". I am not sure what "a reference table" means and how it can be used. IMHO. you could just as well print the prices and pin them to a wall.