AnsweredAssumed Answered

editing a value list with custom values

Question asked by SteveMartino on Jun 11, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 11, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

editing a value list with custom values

Hello everyone, long time no post, and I am making progress.  Here's my latest....and I apolize if I cant explain it correctly.

I have 2 tables, with the relationship of "CONTACT MATCHING ID FIELD" as the key field.  Table 1 is the customers name, info, etc.  Table 2 is a list of their equipment (some customers have more then one piece of equipment).

Its easier to enter the information on Table 2, however I want to make sure when I click "new Record", that I enter the equipment info so it connects to the right customer.

First thing I tried was to take the "CONTACT MATCHING ID FIELD", on table 2, and attach it to a value list.  In the value list, "use value from field", and under "specify field" I have the words......           "Contact::CONTACT MATCHING ID FIELD" and "Contacts::Last"

So what this does, when I click "new record", I get a drop down list of Last Names, from Contacts, to select.  The problem is, for multiple contacts with the same last name, i.e. "Smith", only the first occurance will show (if I'm saying that right).  So John Smith is the only Smith I can add a new piece of equipment to, and not Ruth Smith. So how can I fix this?

I guess my question is, if I drop down to "use custom values", can I use a custom formula to add the first name too....if so..then obviously how?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Outcomes