9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2013 8:26 AM by philmodjunk

Editing database with Instant Web Publishing

CassidyZachary

Title

Editing database with Instant Web Publishing

I've recently started sharing my database with users via Instant Web Publishing. That said when someone makes an edit to text in a field or multiple fields using the web and clicks "submit," the text shows double in my master database. It also duplicates any text in the other fields. Help!

Screen_Shot_2013-07-05_at_12.51.44_PM.png

• 1. Re: Editing database with Instant Web Publishing
          philmodjunk

Can't tell much from what you have posted so far. If you haven't solved this one yet, please describe the design of your database and this layout in much more detail.

• 2. Re: Editing database with Instant Web Publishing
            CassidyZachary

Thank you for responding. My database is object record based. So each object has a record with accompanying information that includes fields like "Object Name," "Classification," "Date" etc. When I edit these fields through the online Fileshare, the field information doubles in my "Master" copy of the database. For instance, "20th century" under "Date" now becomes "20th century 20th century." It is essentially re-saving all of the information. The pic I posted above is just a screen shot of the "doubled" database. Does this make any more sense?

Thank you for all of assistance!!

• 3. Re: Editing database with Instant Web Publishing
              philmodjunk

Sorry, but that is stil not enough info. I need to know how your database and this layout is designed before I can suggest a posible cause or a possible fix.

• 4. Re: Editing database with Instant Web Publishing
                CassidyZachary

I apologize but I do not know what you are asking for exactly. I am a laymen at this and know very, very basic information about database and layout design. Are you looking for script information? 

• 5. Re: Editing database with Instant Web Publishing
                  philmodjunk

Start by entering layout mode on this layout and doing a screen capture of it in this mode instead of browse mode. Upload it here. Make sure that your screen capture includes the status toolbar across the top of the screen. This will show details about the design of your layout that may provide useful clues.

Then describe your tables/relationships in your database that contain the fields shown on this layout. Is there only one table or is there more than one table linked in relationships? If more than one table, how are they linked in those relationships?

Are all the fields shown in your screen shot data fields (text, number, date, ... ) or are some of them calculation fields?

Do any of the data fields have auto-enter calculations?

If you use FIleMaker Pro instead of a web browser to open this database and access this same exact layout, do you get the same behavior when you edit data on this layout?

• 6. Re: Editing database with Instant Web Publishing
                    CassidyZachary

Thank you for your help! I believe I only have one table that I work from. Every record in the database has this same layout (see attached image) with different information pertaining to each object record. Every field shown is a data field (the "image" field is a "containter"--still data, I think?). None have auto-enter calculations.

When I access the database via Filemaker (not the web), I do not get the same duplicate behavior. It is only when accessing and editing the database via Instant File Sharing that both online and "master" database (on my desktop) get duplicate text in all fields. 

Hope this helps...and thank you so much for your time!

• 7. Re: Editing database with Instant Web Publishing
                      philmodjunk

Yet the layout shown in your first post does not appear to be the same layout as that shown here. Nor does it appear that this layout can  be used with Instant Web Publishing as it looks like a themed layout instead of Classic.

• 8. Re: Editing database with Instant Web Publishing
                        CassidyZachary

Oops, this is the layout "theme" I use on my desktop but I change it to classic when I do the Instant Share online. So it looks like the attached. 

• 9. Re: Editing database with Instant Web Publishing
                          philmodjunk

It would have helped if you had not cropped the original screen shot so closely. It's a bit hard to tell which fields have the doubled data--something that is not typical of FileMaker in IWP.

Have you specified any script triggers on this layout or the fields/tab control on this layout?

Are there any auto-enter calculations specified for any of these fields?

If your answer is yes to either of these questions, please post the details about those scripts and/or calculations.

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
                          3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
                          5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
                          7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.