3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 2:31 PM by philmodjunk

Editing in Fields After Record Creation

chf

Title

Editing in Fields After Record Creation

Is it possible to allow a user to create new records and access all fields, but once the record has been created, to limit editing to just a couple specific fields?

• 1. Re: Editing in Fields After Record Creation
          chf

Actually, even better would be if there was a button that the user could click if they want the ability to edit a field.  That would serve as kind of a control, to prevent the user for making a change accidentally.  Is this possible?

• 2. Re: Editing in Fields After Record Creation
            SteveMartino

Yes.  Easiest way would be to have 2 identical layouts, one they can edit on (allowing field entry in browse mode) and one they can not (by disallowing field entry in browse mode).  Then the edit button can take you to the edit layout, and a save button, in the exact same spot would be a script with basically Save Record, and Go to Layout.

Edit:  In my case, the Edit layout has all the fields, allows entry in browse mode, and the View Layout uses all merge fields, with an Edit button to take me to the Edit layout.  Also new records are created via a button that take me to the Edit Layout

• 3. Re: Editing in Fields After Record Creation
              philmodjunk

There are several approaches possible. You can also use behavior settings on the Inspector's data tab to deny user access to the field while in browse mode, but define the button to use go to field or go to object to put the cursor into the field when clicked.