7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 9:38 AM by philmodjunk

Editing Starter Solutions

DanDavison

Title

Editing Starter Solutions

I am very new to data management, and have been using the starter solutions and tweeking them in order to customise the interface to do what is required. I have hit a bit of a wall though and do not understand how to overcome it. I am using the event management starter solution. I want to change the wording of the status section in the events tab- I am probably being stupid here but I don't know how to do it especially so that it still works in showing the numbers attending etc (obviously my alternative wording to attending though). I would also like to add a way of showing on the individual contact details layout which events they have already attended. How would I go about making these changes? Thanks

• 1. Re: Editing Starter Solutions
          philmodjunk

I opened a copy of Event Manager and don't see a "status section" in the events tab? Can you describe that in more detail?

If you mean the grey strip across the top of the screen and that you want to change next to the green "pie chart" that shows how many records are in your current found set, that section cannot be modified exect to hide or reveal it all together. (You can, however, customize the tool bar or hide this section and add your own controls to show the same info but customized to suit your preferences.)

I would also like to add a way of showing on the individual contact details layout which events they have already attended.

In Manage | Database | Relationships, you'll need to add a new table occurrence of Events_Guests, link it to Contacts. Then add a new table occurrence of Events to link to the new TO of Events_Guests and then you can place a portal to Events_Guests to your contacts layout to list events that contact has signed up to attend. If you have FileMaker 11, you can set a portal filter on the portal to limit the records to those of past events.

1. In Manage | Database | Relationships: Click the box titled "Events_EventsGuests_Single" to select it. This box is a table occurrence of Events_Guests. Click the button at bottom left with two green plus signs to make a new table occurrence.
          2. Drag Events_EventsGuests_Single 2 down next to the Contacts Table Occurrence near the bottom of this screen. Double click Events_EventsGuests_Single 2 and change its name to Events_Guests. Drag from k_ID_Contact in contacts to kf_ID_Contact in Events_Guests to link the two.
          3. Now select Events, make a new table occurrence of it. Rename it "ContactEvents" and link it to Events_Guests by dragging from kf_ID_Event in Events_Guests to kp_ID_Event in ContactEvents.
          4. Click OK to leave Manage | Database
          5. Enter layout Mode. Select the inner tab control (the tab control with the tabs named Contact Details, Web Site, Map. ) Select Tab Control Set Up from the Format menu. Use this dialog to add a new tab for your portal.
          6. On this new tab, use the portal tool to draw a rectangle on it. Select Events_Guests from the Show Records From Drop down. Click the Portal Filter check box and enter this expression: Events 2::Event Date < Get ( CurrentDate ). Click OK and the Add Fields to portal dialog pops up. Select ContactEvents from the drop down. Select the fields you want to see so that you can see information an each event. (at least event date and event name)
          7. Click OK and return to Browse mode to see a list of past events for each contact.
          • 2. Re: Editing Starter Solutions
            DanDavison

Sorry here is the clarification:

In Events management, go to the events tab and within that go to the guests tab and you will see a column referred to as status and a section referred to as summary, it is this that I was talking about.

Thank you for the other information I am going to try it now and see where I get!

Thanks

Dan

• 3. Re: Editing Starter Solutions
              DanDavison

When I do the following:

"6. On this new tab, use the portal tool to draw a rectangle on it. Select Events_Guests from the Show Records From Drop down. Click the Portal Filter check box and enter this expression: Events 2::Event Date < Get ( CurrentDate ). Click OK and the Add Fields to portal dialog pops up. Select ContactEvents from the drop down. Select the fields you want to see so that you can see i nformation an each event. (at least event date and event name)"

I get the following error:

The specified table cannot be found.

What am I doing wrong?

• 4. Re: Editing Starter Solutions
                philmodjunk

Oops, make that ContactEvents::Event Date < Get ( CurrentDate )

• 5. Re: Editing Starter Solutions
                  philmodjunk

To change the list of values available in the events tab, Select the status field while in layout mode and go to the Data tab of the Inspector, You can click the pencil button to the right of the Values From: Guest Status, to edit this value list. However, there are relationships defined in Manage | Database | Relationships that depend on these values to compute the needed summary values. If all you do is change the value, the summary calculations will not update to use this new status value on their own.

If you change a value in this value list, you'll need to go to the auto-enter setting for the matching Guest_Status_... field to auto-enter the new value you've specified. If you want to add new values, you'll need to add a new Guest_Status_ field and a new relationship to go with it before you can add a new Guests_.... calculation field to count them and that you in turn would add to the summary section.

Example: If you want to change Attending to "Registered", you'd edit the value list, then go to Guest_Status_Attending in Manage | Database | Fields and change the auto-entered value from "Attending" to "Registered". (You don't have to change the field's name nor the Table Occurrence "box" on the relationships tab, but it would reduce some possible confusion if you do.) You could then edit the layout text from "Number Attending": To "Number Registered".

• 6. Re: Editing Starter Solutions
                    DanDavison

Hi thank you so much for all your help!

I may be missing something but I did as you said above and the only field still working is the "actual" one that populates the number of contacts in the summary section. None of the changed status' are working... I want to do the following changes:

Attending > Unpaid

Invited > Individual

Maybe Attending > Couple

No Response > Session

Not Attending > Walk-in

Any further help on this would be brilliant!

• 7. Re: Editing Starter Solutions
                      philmodjunk

I'll walk you through the steps for Unpaid and you should then be able to then repeate the process for each of the others:

1. Open the Guest Status value list for editing and change the first custom value from "Attending" to "Unpaid". (You can find this value list by selecting Manage | Value lists... or by the method I described earlier.)
                      2. Open Manage | Database | Fields, find the definition for the Guest_Status_Attending field and double click it.
                      3. In the "options for field" dialog that pops up, select the auto-enter tab. There's a box labeled "Data" that has been used to specify "Attending" as the data that's auto-entered into this field. Change it to "Unpaid". Make sure spelling is exactly the same as the value you've entered in the value list.
                      4. Now enter layout mode and change the text on the layout from Number Attending to Number Unpaid.

Note:  the values already entered in the Guest_Status_.... fields will not change until the next time you create a new event record. Since the fields are global, the next time you create a new event record, fields will update for all your events--so this might be why it didn't seem to work for you.