4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2010 9:45 AM by Jade

Eliminating white space

Melinda

Title

Eliminating white space

Mac OS X, FM 9 over a shared network, beginner-intermediate skillset here...

I have a text document in a layout with mulitiple merge fields, and in some cases many of the merge fields are left empty --  this leaves a considerable amount of white space in the document.  We have a contract with one client, for example, to run several courses, but the number of courses varies between clients...  so our document has enough sets of merge fields to accomodate the maximum number of courses a client might contract.  The problem is that when a set of merge fileds are unused in the document, I get whitespace. I tried to give a VERY basic example below:

Course 1

Dates

Time

Instuctor

Course 2

Dates 

Time

Instructor

Contract Payables

Other conditions

In this particular case, the space between then Course 2 instructor and Contract payables, is where the merge fields for Course 3 are in the layout, leaving white space in the document.  I want to eliminate the white space -- is this possible?

As always, your help is appreciated!

Melinda

• 1. Re: Eliminating white space
          Jade

Hi Melinda,

Have you tried setting the field sliding options?  (For details, see the Help topic: Removing blank spaces in printouts)

• 2. Re: Eliminating white space
            Melinda

Hi Jade,

I did try to set the sliding field option, but to no avail -- even checked it in preview mode to see if the spaces were gone, and they were still there.  

If it makes a difference, I export the layout to PDF before printing, and it exports exactly as is showing in browse and/or preview mode.

Melinda

• 3. Re: Eliminating white space
              Melinda

A little more...  I thought FM automatically closed the space of an unused merge field, and I believe this is actually working.  I think the whitespace is being left by the carriage returns...  Is there an alternative to using a carriage return between sections so FM will ignore it if a section of merge fields are left unused?

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Eliminating white space
                Jade

Me again,

I don't know how you have structured your database. If Course 1…, Course 2…, etc. are in separate records of a table, then you can create a layout based on that table with Course, dates, time, instructor in the Body part and Contract payables and other conditions in the Footer part (and probably Customer info in the Header part).

When printing a found set of records, the body will expand to the number of courses and the Footer can slide up