1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2012 11:08 AM by philmodjunk

Email body from Layout

bookalaka_1

Title

Email body from Layout

Other than a plug in is there a work around to email the body of a layout?  I don't need anything fancy basicall looking to email a client a list of products chosen from a longer list of a portal maybe ten line items at most.  

Thanks for direction..

• 1. Re: Email body from Layout
          davidanders

Export as PDF, attach to email.

Google "export pdf attach to email filemaker"
          https://www.google.com/search?q=export+pdf+attach+to+email+filemake

• 2. Re: Email body from Layout
            Sorbsbuster

In the body of the e-mail, can you not set the content to be by calculation:

"Here are the products you selected [return]" & List (Your Portal Relationship::Product )

• 3. Re: Email body from Layout
              bookalaka_1

Currently  using  send email command set up using the SMTP server. From what I see  this doesnt seem to allow sending a current record I see the message box and the ability to attch a file. How would  I get that information to the body of the email?

• 4. Re: Email body from Layout
                Sorbsbuster

The send mail script step allows you to specify the contents of To, CC, BCC, Subject and Message all by calculation.  I would specify that as the calculation for the Message Section.

• 5. Re: Email body from Layout
                  Sorbsbuster
                  /files/3dd07ff4b1/Email_Settings.PNG 640x552
                  • 6. Re: Email body from Layout
                    bookalaka_1

No I understand the send mail function what I dont know how to do is create the calculation for the message. How do I create the email from the fields in the layout so what I am sending looks like what I have on my screen?

• 7. Re: Email body from Layout
                      Sorbsbuster

Where you can specify by calculation the Message text, put:

"Here are the products you selected¶" & List (Your Portal Relationship::Product )

• 8. Re: Email body from Layout
                        bookalaka_1

This works thank you!  However I am trying to email the found set? So far I see in the SMTP settings sending multiple emails for each record which would be quite cumbersome to a customer. Other than emailing a PDF is there a way to show the result of multiple records in a single email body?

Thanks for the help.

• 9. Re: Email body from Layout
                          Sorbsbuster

So, you want to send one contact the list of all records that you see on the screen?  Why not use DavidAnder's first suggestion, to create a pdf of the records, and send that as an attachment?

• 10. Re: Email body from Layout
                            bookalaka_1

Often I find customers are busy and don't want to open an attachment. I would prefer the customer just read the information in the body of the email.

Recently I was at a hotel and they had an Ipad with a menu as a user you selected items you were interested in and then the list of the items selected were sent to you in the body of the email. this solution is what I am trying to copy. I just found this link have not tried hoping this is the answer. what do you think? http://www.briandunning.com/cf/1058

• 11. Re: Email body from Layout
                              philmodjunk

Recently I was at a hotel and they had an Ipad with a menu as a user you selected items you were interested in and then the list of the items selected were sent to you in the body of the email. this solution is what I am trying to copy.

This can be done with a portal and then the list function approach mentioned earlier will work. The "selection process" can set the needed values in a match field so that a relationship matches to the desired records.

You can also either loop through a found set building a list of items in a variable and then reference the variable in your email body, Use copyAllRecords to paste the data from the found set into a field that is referenced in your email body or you can use (in FileMaker 12) the exectuteSQL function to pull the data into your email body.

The details for making any of these approaches work depend on the structure of your database and how you set up the process for selecting the records you want to pull data from and place in the body of your email.

• 12. Re: Email body from Layout
                                bookalaka_1

Getting close. have been able to get the portal list into the email body however its not the filtered list shows all records.

My layout shows  my filtered portal using a global field  selecting and filtering to  3 records from 12OO.

Script:

Freese window

go to related record [from table:  "OrderEntry"; using layout "Prod_Select" (OrderEntry)

Send Mail using SMTP "Here are the products you selected¶" & List (Products_4select_e::c_Item_Sup_Pricing )

go to layout original

Clear[Select; Order Entry:: gS_Sort]

• 13. Re: Email body from Layout
                                  Sorbsbuster

That is correct FM behaviour - the filtering of the portal is a 'formatting' tool - the relationship still has all the related records, but the portal suppresses the display of some.  If you change (oe safer: create a new relatuionship for the purposes of the e-mail generation) that is the same as the portal but includes the global in its definition then it will work the way you want.

BTW: you don't have to go to related records.  You can build the body of the e-mail from the same layout, but use the relationship from there to the table where the related records are to define the calculation.

• 14. Re: Email body from Layout
                                    philmodjunk

You would need to use a relationship where the "filtering" occurs at the relationship level instead of as a portal filter expression.

1 2 Previous Next