3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 1:12 PM by TSGal

Email Campaign

kippy

Title

Email Campaign

I am very new to using FileMaker Pro and databases in general.  I have just started entering contacts and want to send an email to a certain group of people based on what conference I met them at.  I have been using the Business Productivity Kit for managing my contacts, inventory, etc.  But when I go to create an email campaign I do not know how to form groups or add recipients to my email list.  Any help would be great. 

• 1. Re: Email Campaign
          TSGal

kippy:

Thank you for your post.

You can find a group of people using "Find Mode" (from the View menu).  When you find a group of people, pull down the File menu and select "Send Mail...".  In the new dialog box, you can Create: "Multiple emails (one for each record in the found set) ".  In the "To: " section, to the far right, click the arrow, and select "Specify Field Name...".  Select the Field Name that contains the email address.  Finally, enter the Subject and Message, and click OK.  An email will be sent to the email address field for each record in the found set.

This should get you pointed in the right direction.

If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Email Campaign
            kippy
               I followed your instructions and it seemed to work.  But when I hit ok to send the email I got an error message.  Something about an error -1.  I am not sure what happened?  Do I need to register an email or setup an email address before sending?
            • 3. Re: Email Campaign
              TSGal

kippy:

When you send mail through your email application, it will use the default email account for the "From:" field.  If you have not set up your email application and email account, then you will receive an error message.  So, yes, set up your email program and make sure you can send an email prior to running the script.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.