7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 12:32 PM by sailmtry_1

Email Campaign Manager - Does Not Send Messages

sailmtry_1

Title

Email Campaign Manager - Does Not Send Messages

Hi,I'm attempting to use the free Email Campaign Manager to send out about 300 or so emails to my clients updating them on some recent changes to my service offerings and address.OK.. here's my issues. When I create a template (the email message), then add my contacts, and press send -- the email campaign manager creates all the individual emails in SEPARATE windows. In other words, it doesn't put them my outbox, to be sent automatically. Therefore, I have click on each email's "send button" before my email client will send them. I might as well cut and paste!I'm running FMP 9 on a Mac, Snow Leopard, using Apple Mail.Conversely, I can send a group of contacts an email that gets automatically sent (through Apple Mail) if I use the email function in the menu File/Send email within my FMP DB (NOT using the Email Campaign Manager). But creating a message through that method is a scripting nightmare.

Does anyone have a solution?Thanks...

• 1. Re: Email Campaign Manager - Does Not Send Messages
          casey777

There is an checkbox option in the send mail layout window to send emails without having dialog with the email client. Checking it should enable the emails to go out directly using your email client. In version 10, which you may find works better with Snow Leopard, you can send them without using an email client.

• 2. Re: Email Campaign Manager - Does Not Send Messages
            sailmtry_1

Thanks TECman,

Ok.... I've looked all over the Email Campaign Manager application and can not find anything related to "Send mail layout window".  I looked through all the pages: Campaigns, Contacts, Groups, Templates, etc. as wells the menu options  Nothing...  Perhaps I'm blind??? Are we speaking of the same thing?  Below (and I hope it comes through) is a screen shot.  Thanks again for your efforts.

• 3. Re: Email Campaign Manager - Does Not Send Messages
              casey777

Sailmtry, sorry about the incorrectly worded reply. I always do everything using scripts, and by doing a Find search, and then running the found set through a Loop, I find it easier to control the process. When setting up the script, one of the steps is Send Mail. When you specify the information in the send mail dialog window, you insert the email field, subject line field (usually a calculation), text for the body of the email (also often a calculation) and other fields as they may apply.

When looking at the script window where the script steps are listed, you will highlight the send mail script line. Before you click the specify button there is a checkbox to the left which allows you to not have dialog with the email client. That's the option to which I was making reference. 

Perform Find[(set your parameters)]

Go to Record/Request/Page [First]

Loop

Send Mail [no dialog]

Set Field [yourfile:date email sent]

Go to Record/Request/Page [Next; Exit after last]

End Loop

• 4. Re: Email Campaign Manager - Does Not Send Messages
                sailmtry_1

It Worked!!!!!!  Although (for whatever reason) my script names where different then the names you had.  For example instead of Send Mail I had Send Campaign, then under that the actual script that is executed to send the requested emails is called -  Commit Records/Requested (with in an If Statement).  There was the checkbox "Perform without dialog".  After clicking that, I now had Commit Records/Requested [No dialog].

Now if I can just figure out how to point the Email Campaign Manager to my Customer Contact DB so that I can avoid the need to export/import records.  Nonetheless, this is a big step forward.

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Email Campaign Manager - Does Not Send Messages
                  casey777

You probably should combine your two databases into one.

• 6. Re: Email Campaign Manager - Does Not Send Messages
                    casey777
                       You also need to verify that all of your emails are getting through. Some servers like Apple's dot me accounts only allow 200 emails to be sent within a 24 hour period. Your mail server may also have a limitation.
                    • 7. Re: Email Campaign Manager - Does Not Send Messages
                      sailmtry_1
                         Thanks for the additional notes.  Now for some reason, I can't get contact to be added to a campaign.  I'm clicking on the "Blue Arrow" but that does not appear to be working.  Does it ever end??  :-(