3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2010 12:35 PM by philmodjunk

email compatibility

TomPingel

Title

email compatibility

I have a Filemaker client who cannot use Microsoft Outlook for their email client because it is incompatible with their satellite internet service.

They had been using Thunderbird with FM but when updating to it's latest release, that stopped working and I understand FM does not support Thunderbird. They tried backing out the update, but there must be some residual since Thunderbird still doesn't work.

What other email clients can I recommend they use?

• 1. Re: email compatibility
          philmodjunk

Compatible Email clients are listed in FileMaker Help. Look up Send Mail and you'll get the list for your version of FileMaker and for each platform. (The list is different depending on what OS you are using.)

• 2. Re: email compatibility
            TomPingel

The Help file for FM 11 advanced says in the 'Notes':

•
            To send email, you must have an internet connection. In addition, to send mail through an email application, you must have the following configurations.
            Windows:
             •
            A [Mail] section in the Win.ini file.
             •
            Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express and Eudora installed and configured properly.

Since my client with the issue uses Windows, one of Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, or (not 'and' as shown in the Help file) Eudora must be configured. I assume then that no other email client is supported. Am I reading that correctly?

• 3. Re: email compatibility
              philmodjunk

That's how I read it. Other email clients may work, but FileMaker didn't test them and thus doesn't list them.

Your other option may be to use SMTP email option though it has its own unique set of problems.

For More Information on an issue with SMTP email, see:    Email header malformed when using SendMail

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:   http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html