3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2010 10:42 AM by philmodjunk

Email documents with merge fields

ishulman

Title

Email documents with merge fields

Hello.

I have a health practice and recently upgraded to FM11 from FM9. I would like to email clients a reminder of their first appointment with details (the date and time of the appointment, the name of the clinician they will see) and BCC a copy to the specific clinician. I can create exactly what I want within a layout, including the practice logo; however, when I use the 'send mail' script function it creates a bare-bones email that doesn't permit any of that.

How can I include the contents of a layout within an email or create an email that reflects all that client-specific information?

Thanks,

Ian

• 1. Re: Email documents with merge fields
          philmodjunk

Use a calculation to combine info such as a client's name and appointment informaiton with the text that makes up your message.

Click the arrow button to the right of the Body text box in the Send Mail dialog and build an expression like this:

"Dear " & PatientTable::SalutationField & ",¶¶This is just a friendly reminder that you have an appointment with " & Doctor::DoctorName & " on " & Appointment::AppDate & " at " & Appointment::AppTime & "."

and so on. (Of course, use your table and field names in place of mine.)

Once you get the hang of this, you may want to try using a calculated approach that uses the subsitute function to insert data in place of "tag" text that is part of a message template. That's a more sophisticated approach that can give you the option to select from different message templates and also allows users to create/modify their own message templates without having to redesign a calculation like the above expression.

• 2. Re: Email documents with merge fields
            ishulman

Thanks Phil. I've got that working and will explore the substitute function.

Do you consult?? I've been looking for someone who can help me with some basic tutoring. I'm a quick study, so it shouldn't take much time. I just learn much better person to person than by picking my way through help files. Please email me back so we can talk further about this

• 3. Re: Email documents with merge fields
              philmodjunk

Yeah I consult, that's why the folder in my avatar icon is labeled "Caulkins Consulting". Wink

Click my icon to send me a private message and we'll take that discussion off line.