4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 6:28 AM by Wayne1

Email form data

Wayne1

Title

Email form data

Howdy All,

I have done extensive searches on the Forum, but can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

What I want to do is install a "stand alone" version of a timesheet data base that I have created on each employee's machine (12 staff).  We have four offices across the country.

In theory, what I want to have happen is, once they have filled out the form, they click a "send" button which sends the current record to a line manager for approval, then he/she sends the record (once approved) to the admin team for processing.

All of the fields are repeating (14 repeats), and there are three that have drop down list options.

I have used the Send Mail script and can send the email to the intended recipient, but there is no data attached.

The "Create One email using data from the current record" button is checked.

Is what I want to do even possible, and if so HOW !!!!!

BTW, I am using FMP10.0v3 Advanced on Vista Business (64 bit)

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Wayne T

• 1. Re: Email form data
          davidanders

Runtime Filemaker database is given to 12 users in 4 locations.

The user fills data and the record is sent to supervisor in email.

Does this work? The email is recieved?

The supervisor reviews and forwards? the email to you? the server?

Does this work? The email is recieved?

The Filemaker Server checks a specific location for new emails?

The FMP Server is scripted to import the emails, parse the information and enter it into fields?

Does this work?

I have setup a similar scenario and had it working, pretty well. 30 Filemaker Instant Web Publishing and sending emails with the data included that was narrowly defined for easy import.

• 2. Re: Email form data
            Wayne1

Thanks David, please see my responses below in blue.

Also, please forgive me, but I neglected to tell you a few things in the previous post...

1.  It is probably clear, but I am not an expert user - more of a glorified novice to intermediate user really.

2. We do have Filmmaker Server at the office.

3. A colleague is much better that I am using the server side of the system, my forte (if you can call it that) is database design and user interface (making things look pretty)

4.  All locations are networked, a couple on a VPN line, and two on ADSL2.

Runtime FileMaker database is given to 12 users in 4 locations. Correct

The user fills data and the record is sent to supervisor in email. Correct

Does this work? The email is received? I can send the email to the supervisor, but there is no data from the form attached or downloadable.

The supervisor reviews and forwards? the email to you? the server? The supervisor sends the checked timesheet to the administration team.  I am not really sure which method would be best.  It is easier (i guess) to upload to the network for Admin to pull down, but to have the server receive the email and forwarding it on.  would be a much more elegant solution, however, I am not sure I have the expertise to make that happen.

Does this work? The email is received? Again, I can send the email to the correct address, but there is no data from the form attached downloadable.

The Filemaker Server checks a specific location for new emails? I haven't got this far yet, but that would be the perfect scenario.

The FMP Server is scripted to import the emails, parse the information and enter it into fields? I haven't got this far yet, but that would be the perfect scenario.

Does this work? I haven't got this far yet, but that would be the perfect scenario.

I have setup a similar scenario and had it working, pretty well. 30 Filemaker Instant Web Publishing and sending emails with the data included that was narrowly defined for easy import.  This actually seems an even nicer idea than to have Runtime versions operating.  I assume the end user logs on to a specific web site and complees the task via a web browser?  Is another alternative to get teh Server to read an ODBC version of the file and pull it directly from the remote location servers?

I am probably getting ahead of my self a bit (I do tend to get a little excited by this stuff).  I guess the first thing I need to figure out is how to get the email to include the data?

Again, thank you for your assistance.

• 3. Re: Email form data
              davidanders

Does this work? The email is received? I can send the email to the supervisor, but there is no data from the form attached or downloadable.

What do you mean by FORM ATTACHED? (downloadable does not enter into it)

Either your email contains the data or it does not.

You need to create a SUPER simple database that sends an email with data.

There are like seven points of failure, a simple simple database to just do one thing is first.

REMEMBER, I am old school and struggling to comprehend the new stuff (come to think of it, it was that way 17 years ago) aahhh, well.

• 4. Re: Email form data
                Wayne1

Hi David,

The email does not contain the data.

I did as you suggest and created a simple data base with only one field in it, and still nothing.

Cheers

WT