4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 6:11 PM by R12GS

Email function paralyzes Filemaker 11

R12GS

Title

Email function paralyzes Filemaker 11

I have a script that composes an email (to the customer), the user can review the email and make changes etc.  Often upon reading this email (that has been composed by a script) the user wants to go back to Filemaker and investigate other issues in the database (to provide best customer service).  Then revise the email accordingly prior to sending.  But upon creating the email (via users email client), Filemaker becomes inactive in the background.  The user cannot do any further Filemaker research until hitting the "send" button, or closing the email.

The user would like to use Filemaker to further refine the email (to the customer) and then send the email.

Is there a way to have Filemaker compose the email (in the email client), but have Filemaker active in the foreground ?

• 1. Re: Email function paralyzes Filemaker 11
          philmodjunk

Compose the email message in a text field you display on a layout in FileMaker. The user then never leaves FileMaker to do those other tasks and this issue is avoided. A "send" button on the layout can then generate and send out the actual email using the text of this text field as the body of the email.

• 2. Re: Email function paralyzes Filemaker 11
            R12GS

So you are saying that there's no 'checkbox' to "release" Filemaker?  Dang, I was hoping to be able to do it in the background.wink

Thanks anyway, that is certainly a do-able solution, but will require another layout and a little retraining.  I'll go that route.

• 3. Re: Email function paralyzes Filemaker 11
              philmodjunk

Apparently, this window is from the email client program and is a modal dialog. This is something that might vary for different email client programs.

• 4. Re: Email function paralyzes Filemaker 11
                R12GS

Phil wrote:  "Compose the email message in a text field you display on a layout in FileMaker. The user then never leaves FileMaker to do those other tasks and this issue is avoided. A "send" button on the layout can then generate and send out the actual email using the text of this text field as the body of the email."

=============

OK first, I did this with a "pause" - but pausing a script paralyzes the WinPCs in the same way (but it works fine on OS X).  Am I correct in assuming that a WinPC can't operate during a "paused script" ? 

Well no matter because I got rid of the pause, (just exited the script and add a button for "Send email" ) and it's working great.  Hope the users like it. :)