4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2010 12:40 PM by mrvodka

Email list of contacts in portal.

fluffyone

Title

Email list of contacts in portal.

Hi Group

I have made a couple of posts on this but wonder if I am explaining myself right as I have not had a reply, I have spent a load of time trying things out but just can't get what I want and it seems so simple (but frustrating).

I have a layout to send emails from, I create the email subject field and the email body text on the layout. I have a portal at the top that lists related Contacts with their contact emails and their first name. and this displays correctly.

What I want to do is to send the email as set out on the layout to all the related contacts so each email is personalized with their name. But I can't figure out how to send many emails from the form so that they are individual.

I can send them as one email with all the addresses in the to: box on the email, but this is not personalized and it also creates other issues. So I would rather send them as individual Emails.

Can any one help me?

Regards

Fluffy

• 1. Re: Email list of contacts in portal.
          mrvodka

Go to the related records and then loop through the records. The message body can be stored in a variable.

• 2. Re: Email list of contacts in portal.
            fluffyone

Hi Mr Vodka

Thank you for your reply, How I wanted to ask you what you meant!  but instead I gave it a go to try and make the script and I have got it working! (well sort of) It pays to try as you can learn more.

Ok, I have got the script working as follows:

I am in my Email layout that I want send out and on this layout is the subject and body text I want,

I have a button to run the script. This opens up my contact layout and selects the related contacts.

I have created variables for the send email, so that the contact is inserted in the to field, and the subject field and body field are also done by variables.

Then it loops, finishes and closes the window

this works well and an email is created for each contact, I have got the personalised first name working as well in the body of the email.

The problem is, I then create a new email layout record with new subject and body text and when I press the send button it sends to the right contacts that are related to this new record, but it doesn't update the subject and body text to the new text? These stay as the first record I created?

Any pointers?

Regards

Fluffy

• 3. Re: Email list of contacts in portal.
              fluffyone

Hi Mr. Vodka

It's OK  I sorted it.  I had the "set variables" for the email subject and body in the wrong place on the script, they needed to be at the top before the loop.

Thanks for your pointer, I always try to solve any issue before I ask on the forum as I don't like annoying people too much and I prefer to find out with trial and error, but sometimes I can stare at the screen completely blanked out!!!  With this little glitch I have been working on and off for over 4 days, but I have learnt so much in the process about this and other things as well.

Thanks for you help!

Regards

Fluffy

• 4. Re: Email list of contacts in portal.
                mrvodka

No problem. Its great that you gave it effort to try and figure it out. That is the best way to learn. :-)