1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 4:18 PM by computerprosCA

Email not being sent out using SMTP Server 'Send Mail' command

computerprosCA

Title

Email not being sent out using SMTP Server 'Send Mail' command

SERVER & CLIENT INFORMATION:

FMP10 Server Advanced running on OSX 10.5.8

FMP10 Pro Advanced Client software running on WinXP Pro

I created a simple script to send out an Email using the 'Send Mail' command via the 'SMTP Server' option.

THE PROBLEM:

Email is not sent out due to the following error seen below in my Mail Server debug log:

Received greeting: 220 XYZ Mail Server
      Sending EHLO
      Sent MAIL command
      Got reply: 553 Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed
      Sender <=?UTF-8?B?RmlsZU1ha2VyIFNlcnZlcg==?=<fmp10@vpginc.com> not accepted: 553 Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed
      QUIT sent, got reply: 221 Bye

• 1. Re: Email not being sent out using SMTP Server 'Send Mail' command
          computerprosCA

After 6 hours of Trial & Error, pulling my hair out, and searching every FMP resource I could get my hands on (I ALMOST called FM Tech Support, but I'm too stubborn and cheap to spend the $45), here is the solution I discovered which fixed the problem to what I consider a Filemaker "BUG" in the SMTP Server 'Send Mail' Script command.

THE SOLUTION:

When you Configure (or 'Specify') the SMTP Server in the 'Send Mail' Script Step, DO NOT enter a NAME in the User Information field.

THE PROBLEM:

For some reason (unknown to me) when you enter a NAME in the User Information field and send the Email it is converted into UTF-8 (Unicode Transformation Format) and it looks like this:  Sender <=?UTF-8?B?RmlsZU1ha2VyIFNlcnZlcg==?=<fmp10@domain.com>  which results in the following error, "553 Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed"

The Sender information should probably look like this:   Sender <Joe Hockeypuck><fmp10@vpginc.com>  not Unicode

I hope this helps someone out there.