3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 10:38 AM by K|Z

Email Notification Script Ideas

Terri

Title

Email Notification Script Ideas

Hi,

I know how to send email notifications via script but I need to brainstorm the best way to handle this request.

We use FMPro 10 primarily for scheduling. My team has requested that they receive an email when a record has reached a certain milestone on the schedule. For example, if the final proof is due today - send them an email. My first thought was to have a script trigger set up when the program is opened. However, there are 10 people who have FM and they go into the program independently - and sometimes they go into the program, close it to work on other things, then open it again. Each time this happens, they would get an email. Then I thought maybe I would set up a button that triggers the email notification, but if someone is not here daily to push this button, emails will not be sent for those days.

I'm trying to figure out the least manual process to do this and make sure only one email is sent each day. Your thoughts?

• 1. Re: Email Notification Script Ideas
          mgores

If the file is being hosted, you could have an "on timer script" running the email notification script on the server and set it to run daily or whatever time period you want.

• 2. Re: Email Notification Script Ideas
            philmodjunk

If you are using FileMaker Server, a server schedule can perform such a script on a daily basis.

A FileMaker robot file can be run from a system task scheduler that does the same thing once a day.

An on open setting can also be made to work if you set up the script to log each time it runs in a separate table. The script can then check this table and not do anything if the script has already run once today.

• 3. Re: Email Notification Script Ideas
              K|Z

heyy,

if u have filemaker server, u can schedule a server script that runs automaticaly (every day at 4am for example) and check for the cretaria u wan, in that case mails will be sent automaticaly to users,

The only option to do this automaticaly is to use filemaker server, (unless some one got another solution that i dont know about )

K|Z