email recipients through scripting

Question asked by NaturSalus on Apr 5, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 6, 2013 by NaturSalus

Title

email recipients through scripting

Hello,

I have the following relationship:

Deviation --<DeviationPerson >--Person

The DeviationPerson table has the DeviationPerson::PersonTask field.

What I want to do is to collect the emails of the people to which I want to send an email: So that I can use it to send them emails.

I choose who will get an email by passing "Mail Recipient" as a script parameter. So I can generate DeviationPerson records for which DeviationPerson::PersonTask = "Mail Recipient".

So, for the current Deviation record there are related Person records that have  DeviationPerson::PersonTask = "Mail Recipient". Well, I would like to collect in a field the contents of their Person::Email fields.

In order to send emails I have a standard setup.

On a layout based on the Deviation table I have a portal to the DeviationPerson TO with all the people that I want to send emails to. From here I have the Email button that triggers the Launch Email script that is paused in the Email layout in wich I can make final modifications and from which I can trigger the Send Email script that will send the emails.

The "magic" must occur in the Launch Email script.

My standard Launch Email script is the following:

# Error Handling

Allow User Abort [ Off ]

Set Error Capture [ On ]

# Error Handling

Allow User Abort [ Off ]

Set Error Capture [ On ]

Commit Records/Requests

New Window [ Name: "Mail Recipients"; Height: 573; Width: 539 ]

# Populate email global fields

Set Field [ zResources::Email_Header; "Deviation #" & Deviation::DeviationNumber ]

Set Field [ zResources::Email_Body; "Deviation: " &Deviation::DeviationTitle & "¶¶" &

"Leader: " & "¶" &

"Date: " & Deviation::DeviationOpeningDate ]

Set Field [ zResources::Email_Cc; "" ]

Set Field [ zResources::Email_Recipients; Substitute ( List (Person::Email ) ; "¶" ; "; " ) ]

Set Field [ zResources::Email_Subject; "Deviation #" & Deviation::DeviationNumber & "requires your involvement" ]

# Go to Email_Detail layout so that the user can send the email

Go to Layout [ “Email_Detail” (Deviation) ]

Show/Hide Status Area [ Lock; Hide ]

Adjust Window [ Resize to Fit ]

#

Pause/Resume Script [ Indefinitely ]

#

Exit Script [ ]

What I want to achieve is to make sure that the following script step:

Set Field [ zResources::Email_Recipients; Substitute ( List (Person::Email ) ; "¶" ; "; " ) ]

captures the emails of  the Person records related to the current Deviation record that also have DeviationPerson::TaskPerson = "Mail Recipient"

So somehow I must collect the Person::Email values of those Person records related to the current Devaition record and that have DeviationPerson::TaskPerson = "Mail Recipient"

I tried that finding  those records at the beginning of the Launch Email script as follows:

# Error Handling

Allow User Abort [ Off ]

Set Error Capture [ On ]

#

# Collect the emails of the mail recipients

Go to Layout [ “dev_DeviationPerson” (DeviationPerson) ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ First ]

Loop

Perform Find [ Specified Find Requests: Find Records; Criteria: DeviationPerson::PersonTask: “= "Mail Recipient"” ] [ Restore ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next; Exit after last ]

End Loop

#

Commit Records/Requests

New Window [ Name: "Mail Recipients"; Height: 573; Width: 539 ]

# Populate email global fields

Set Field [ zResources::Email_Header; "Deviation #" & Deviation::DeviationNumber ]

Set Field [ zResources::Email_Body; "Deviation: " &Deviation::DeviationTitle & "¶¶" &

"Leader: " & "¶" &

"Date: " & Deviation::DeviationOpeningDate ]

Set Field [ zResources::Email_Cc; "" ]

Set Field [ zResources::Email_Subject; "Deviation #" & Deviation::DeviationNumber & "requires your involvement" ]

# Go to Email_Detail layout so that the user can send the email

Go to Layout [ “Email_Detail” (Deviation) ]

Show/Hide Status Area

[ Lock; Hide ]

Adjust Window

[ Resize to Fit ]

#

Pause/Resume Script [ Indefinitely ]

#

Exit Script [ ]

But didn't work surely because I am doing something dummy that I don't see.

What is the correct way of doing it?

Thanks,

Outcomes