1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 2:52 PM by TSGal

Email to specific fields

axlrose

Title

Email to specific fields

Does anyone know how to send mass emails pertaining to the field contents.  We have different showrooms.  We need to send to all showrooms.  We have a showroom field.  I would like it so it opens up my Thunderbird email application with all the email addresses of that showroom in the BCC field of the email.  And if there are no email addresses it just skips that record and goes to the next until it has all of the showrooms in there email addresses.

Please help thanks.

• 1. Re: Email to specific fields
          davidanders

I could be wrong. But, the last time I searched, Win FMP did Outlook or Outlook Express, Mac FMP did Entourage or OSX Mail.This may have changed.

You are on Win or Mac?

You have multiple Showrooms that may have multiple email addresses. And you want to send one email to each Showroom at all email addresses? OR you want to send one email to all the email addresses in all the Showroom fields? 

That is with FMP only and no email plugins.

This forum subsection is only about email and FMP.

http://fmforums.com/forum/showforum.php?fid/53/keyword/email/ 

• 2. Re: Email to specific fields
            axlrose
               FMP does your defualt mail program.  Mine is thunderbird.  Im using windows xp on pc.  I want to send one email to multiple showrooms sending it to all the email addresses i listed in the email field.  These are records of customers.  There is a showroom field and also a email field.  Email fields lists email addresses usually 1 maybe two sepearated with a comma if there are more than one.  There are about 12 different showrooms.  I need to be able to specify the showroom i want and send out 1 email to all customers email addresses that are assigned that showroom.
            • 3. Re: Email to specific fields
              TSGal

axlrose:

Thank you for your post.

My email program accepts commas between email addresses, so any emails I have in my email field, I separate them with a comma.  Then, I just that field in the Send Mail script step.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Email to specific fields
                axlrose
                   When i do the send email script it only pulls the email address from the record i am on that is showing on the screen.  I need it to pull for all the email addresses that are found.  For Example I can do a search for all Red Showrooms.  Then goto Send Email script and I want it to pull all the emails for all the red showrooms that I pulled up under my search.
                • 5. Re: Email to specific fields
                  axlrose
                     also i dont know how to edit using the script maker. i tried to do it i cant figure it out. is there any way to send someone the script that i can import into FM pro 9?
                  • 6. Re: Email to specific fields
                    TSGal

axlrose:

The Send Mail script does pull from the current record.  Therefore, you may want to create another field that adds email addresses when you loop through the file in a script.

Enter Browse Mode []

Go to Record [First]

Loop

If [not IsEmpty (Newfield)]

Set Field [Newfield; Newfield & "," ]

End If

Set Field [Newfield; Newfield & EmailField

Go to Record [Next; Exit after last]

End Loop

Send Mail [To: Newfield]

-----

This script goes to the first record in the found set and then loops through the file.  If Newfield is not empty, then a comma (or some separator can be used to separate each email address) is inserted.  Then, we replace Newfield with what already exists in Newfield and the current record EmailField.  We go to the next record and loop through the found set.  Once all the records have been evaluated, then we exit the loop and encounter the Send Mail script step where you send to the contents of Newfield, which contains all of your emails separated by commas.

To edit a script, go into ScriptMaker, double-click the script and it takes you into Edit mode.  You can then alter any script.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Email to specific fields
                      axlrose
                         ok i dont think you understand. the email script i already have opens up my default mailing program and puts in the email address  from the email field. i already entered in the commas if they were necessary so i dont need a step to add commas or anything.  i just need it to pull he entire contents of the email field and it does. so the only function i need it to do now is go through all the records in the found set and add the email addresses not just the record on the screen.  what do i need to add to my script already. how can i paste my script that i have in here? i have no idea how to edit. i know how to get into the edit mode but after that the double clicking on things i dont know vb so this isnt helping ineed detailed stop by stop instructions. like i could show you the script i have and i think its a simple fix of just adding another line to it to go to the next record. but anyways the only way i think we will completly undertsand eachother is if i can paste my script to you and you can run it.  also i dont know how to copy it and paste the actual script like you are doing or are you just typing it?  i dont know how to edit once in edit mode? please help.   i found 409 showrooms.  my email script opens up thunderbird and inserts the email address in the to field. i want it to put them all in the bcc field.  i want it to go through all 409 showrooms that i found and pull all the contents of the email field and place it like it does for one record . if theres no contents in the email field skip it until it goes thru all 409 records. thats my example of what im trying to do here.  again i have absolutly no knowledge of programing or writing any scripts. i just started using this program. let me send you the script i have. somehow. please help.
                      • 8. Re: Email to specific fields
                        TSGal

axlrose:

The script above will put all take all records in the found set and put each email value into one field.  At the end, you can then use the Send Mail script step to send an email, using the contents of the Newfield field.

It is easy to edit scripts.  When you pull down the Scripts menu, select "ScriptMaker".  Double-click the script that is giving you the trouble and you will now be able to edit it.  Use the script steps outlined above, and this should point you in the right direction.

If you have trouble with any of the above steps, let me know. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Email to specific fields
                          axlrose

This script does not work either.  it says no table found.

• 10. Re: Email to specific fields
                            TSGal

axlrose:

At what place does the script fail?

Put a "Halt Script" step after the second step.  If this works, then move it to the third step.  Continue until you find the problem.  It could be the field name isn't referenced properly, so make sure you double-click the field in the field list.  That will then bring across the appropriate reference.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Email to specific fields
                              axlrose
                                 i dont know what your talking about. i dontknow how to do anything your saying and why i try to do it. it doesnt work. is there anyway to send me the script in an email and then i can import it into fm pro 9? 
                              • 12. Re: Email to specific fields
                                TSGal

axlrose:

You cannot import a script from an email.

1. Pull down the Scripts menu and select "ScriptMaker".

2. Click the "New" icon in the bottom left corner of the next dialog box

3. The "Script Name" will be highlighted.  Change this to "Send Emails"

4. From the left side, scroll down until you find "Enter Browse Mode" (under Navigation).  Double-click it, and it will now appear on the right side of the screen.

5. From the left side, scroll down until you see "Go to Record" (also under Navigation).  Double-click it, and it will appear on the right side of the screen below "Enter Browse Mode".

6. Notice in the lower part of the screen, Specify is set to "First".  Leave this alone.

7. From the left side, double-click "Loop" (under Control).  On the right side of the screen, two commands are added; "Loop" and "End Loop"

8. From the left side, double-click "If" (also under Control).  On the right side of the screen, two commands are added; "If" and "End If".

9. "If" should still be highlighted on the right side.  In the bottom portion, click the "Specify..." button.  A new window will appear.

10. In the large area, type "not IsEmpty("

11. In the Field listing above on the left side, find "Newfield" (or the field you want to use to put all of your emails into).  Double-click it, and it should now appear below; possibly preceded by the table name.

12. Type a closing parenthesis and click OK.  This brings you back to the Edit script window.

13. From the left side, scroll down under "Fields" and double-click "Set Field".  This will now appear on the right side.

14. Check "Specify Target field", and you this brings up a new dialog box.  Select Newfield and click OK.  You will be returned back to the Edit script window.

15. To the left of "Calculated Result:", click on the button "Specify...".  This brings up another window.

16. From the fields list on the left side, double click "Newfield", and it will appear in the larger box below.  Type in:

& ","

Make sure there is a space before and after the ampersand.  Click OK.  This returns you to the Edit script window.

17. In the right window, select the line "End If"

18. Find "Set Field" again from the left side and double-click.  This should now appear one line below End If.  If not, then you can drag the command to its proper position.

19. Check "Specify Target field", and you this brings up a new dialog box.  Select Newfield and click OK.  You will be returned back to the Edit script window.

20. To the left of "Calculated Result:", click on the button "Specify...".  This brings up another window.

21. From the fields list on the left side, double click "Newfield", and it will appear in the larger box below.  Type in:

& 

That is, space-ampersand-space.

22. From the fields list on the left side, double click your Email field.  The entire calculation should say something like:

New field & Email field.  Click OK, and you will return to the Edit Script window.

23. From the left side, double-click on "Go to Record".  This will now appear on the right side below the second Set Field.

24. In the bottom portion, change the value "First" to "Next", and also check the option to Exit after last.

25. Highlight the last script line (End Loop)

26. From the left side, scroll all the way to the bottom, and under "Miscellaneous", you will find "Send Mail".  Double click this script step and it will appear on the right.

27. Click on "Specify", and select Newfield.  Click OK.

28. Close this window, and you will be prompted, "Save changes to "Send Email" script?"  Answer Save.

Now, whenever you want to send emails, select this script.

If you run into any problems creating this script, let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

If [not IsEmpty (Newfield)]

Set Field [Newfield; Newfield & "," ]

End If

Set Field [Newfield; Newfield & EmailField

Go to Record [Next; Exit after last]

End Loop

Send Mail [To: Newfield] 

• 13. Re: Email to specific fields
                                  axlrose

what is this new field? i dont have a new field or anywhere to store all my emails. i want them to be placed in the bcc of my default email application. thunderbird.  i dont have an extra field where i can just fill it up with hundreds of emails.  how do i do this. i dont have the new field. and i cant get into the table to create one. so i dont think this will work. i need them to all goto my email app. whatever field that is and then i need it to be in bcc with commas seperating them as it gathers them all..

• 14. Re: Email to specific fields
                                    TSGal

axlrose:

The Newfield was discussed back on 12:00 PM on Friday, October 31.  However, if you don't have access to the tables to create a new field, then you probably can't create a script.

Instead, create a new database file with one field "Emails".  Write your script there, but reference the other database file to retrieve the Emails and put them into "Emails" field in the current file.  Then, the Send Mail script would reference the Email field when populating the BCC portion of the email.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next