5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2009 12:12 PM by burnsy_1

Emailing in Filemaker Pro using a database called Complete Data

burnsy_1

Title

Emailing in Filemaker Pro using a database called Complete Data

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone/ or persons can point me in the right direction.

We are using a Program called Complete Data it is designed for Real Estate use (please dont hold that against me), its platform is Filemaker Pro. Running off the server with 9 licenses.

Has anything been designed in emailing function  to click multiple attachments? Currently i have 3500 clients who vary with 1 attachment (PDF) or 6 attachments (PDF) of different suburbs. After doing this for the last 18 months the database is growing quiet large and emailing time is taking over 1 week to do. (Just tonight 79 clients has taken 1.5 hours with a total of 223 attachments added)

We love to receive feedback from anyone.

Yours greatfully

burnsy

• 1. Re: Emailing in Filemaker Pro using a database called Complete Data
          casey777

Hi burnsy, I suspect you are using Complete Data for more than just emailing information to clients. Have you asked them about your attachment question since they put together the program?

Questions for you:

What version of Filemaker Pro are you using? 

Are the PDF files in the Complete Data program or are they in an external file?

If the emails are sent using Complete Data, do they go through your email client software or directly from Filemaker via an SMTP server?

Are you adding the multiple PDF files to each email separately?

Would it work better for you to create a separate Filemaker solution just for emailing to your client base?

Could you send 6 separate emails to a client each containing 1 PDF file each? Would that be faster?

• 2. Re: Emailing in Filemaker Pro using a database called Complete Data
            burnsy_1

Thanks TECman for replying to my post.

Complete Data is a porgram designed standard for Real Estate industry. I have asked them about extra's and they dont really know. Or want to search. Very strange when we spent 17k.

What version of Filemaker Pro are you using? 9.01 

Are the PDF files in the Complete Data program or are they in an external file? external - saved to Server from a website. standard PDF file size is 1200kb

If the emails are sent using Complete Data, do they go through your email client software or directly from Filemaker via an SMTP server? SMTPit program with in Filemaker, i believe

Are you adding the multiple PDF files to each email separately? yes i am adding 1 file at a time (was going to do screen dump but having issues trying to include a snip of screen where i am doing the emails from)

Would it work better for you to create a separate Filemaker solution just for emailing to your client base? What would you suggest

Could you send 6 separate emails to a client each containing 1 PDF file each? Would that be faster? I have thought about that but a client may get annoyed when clog up their INBOX with 6 emails all at once. The process we tried to do here is  4 points of contact in a month. 3 emails and 1 phone call.

i am rather surprised that you cannot add multiple attachments at one time. Suppose i am use to window base platform.

Look forward to your thoughts TECman and anyone else.

cheers

burnsy

• 3. Re: Emailing in Filemaker Pro using a database called Complete Data
              casey777

Thanks for your well organized reply. 

In version 10 you can send emails directly using its new SMTP option which is nice, but it still does not handle everything that the plug-in, SMTPit Pro, can do for you if properly worked into your system. Oh, that's right, your system has been designed and maintained by a company that is not helping you at this point even though you paid them generously. 

Seriously, let's move forward from here. Filemaker, even in version 10, only includes 1 attachment in emails. Using the plug-in, SMTPit Pro, you can send multiple attachments although it's a bit difficult. However, using SMTPit Pro you could send those PDF files as inline documents and I believe it could handle the size capacity you need putting them directly into the email, they would not be included as an attachment. In line documents would look much better to the email recipient if designed properly. The problem is that you probably cannot edit your present software to include it as an option. It would require a new layout and a new script or two.

Do you have access to make those kind of changes? In other words, can you presently edit layouts and alter scripts?

An alternative would be to prepare a new Filemaker solution to handle just the emails. Without knowing more about your business, I don't know how that would disrupt the flow and record keeping of client activity and documentation. It would be much better to add this capability to your present program.

You may send me a private message concerning any details you don't want to discuss here on this forum. As a Filemaker developer, I will continue to help you though this problem.

Let me know your thoughts. 

• 4. Re: Emailing in Filemaker Pro using a database called Complete Data
                casey777

So, burnsy, what are you doing? Is Complete Data fixing your problem, or are you finding a solution yourself?

After putting a lot of thought into your problem, it would be nice to know what the result was and if my comments helped you.

• 5. Re: Emailing in Filemaker Pro using a database called Complete Data
                  burnsy_1

TECman,

So for the delayed response. Currently away from office due to Melbourne huge spring carnival (horse racing). I will be full steam ahead from Monday next week.

I can tell you I have some experience in changing fields and layout in our program, self taught thought.

Any assistance from yourself would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to being in more regular contact in the future.

Cheers

burnsy