3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 12:59 PM by philmodjunk

Emailing via Calculation for fields, text, and REPEATING fields!?

ToddFerguson

Title

Emailing via Calculation for fields, text, and REPEATING fields!?

I'm able to email via calculation, fields and "text".  

Could someone help me understand how to email repeating fields?  Qty, Part#, Desc, Price, Ext..  etc!

Thanks very very much in advance!

Todd

• 1. Re: Emailing via Calculation for fields, text, and REPEATING fields!?
          philmodjunk

Best method is not to use repeating fields. What you describe sounds like the line items of an invoice. These should be in a related line items table, not in repeating fields as they are much harder to work with. (Repeating fields were once the only way to do this when FileMaker was a Flat file database. SInce the release of FileMaker 3.0, Filemaker is no longer a flat file system and repeating fields today are only really useful in certain very specialized situations.)

If these are multiple related records, let me know and I can give you two different approaches that can do what you want from such a related table of records.

• 2. Re: Emailing via Calculation for fields, text, and REPEATING fields!?
            ToddFerguson

So, create an additional table, then pull the data into the quote file (for example products) as individual records in a portal view?

You are super nice for helping me out.  I catch on quick.  Just old school filemaker guy that's not a great programmer.  But I understand pretty quick.

I owe you a crate of vino...

Thanks so much

• 3. Re: Emailing via Calculation for fields, text, and REPEATING fields!?
              philmodjunk

You may want to examine this demo file created by Comment to see how a typical invoicing system is set up in FileMaker:  http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/309136/

Once you have that working, you can either use save as PDF to generate a PDF of your invoice and attach it to your email or you can use the list function in calculations to produce a small plain text table of invoiced items in body of the email. In your line items table, you create a calculation field with an expression such as: ItemID& Char (9) & ItemDescription & Char (90)... and so forth.

Char (9) returns the tab character so this becomes a tab delimitted list of values. Then in your send mail dialog, you can set up a calculation that uses the List function to refer to this field for all the related line item records and you will see a small tab delimitted table of data in your email body.