1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 9, 2014 8:48 AM by philmodjunk

emailinged a fmp file to client to try out, but they can't create records (?)

FranziskaBlome

Title

emailinged a fmp file to client to try out, but they can't create records (?)

Hi, I'm obvioulsy missing some kind of setting to allow someone, whom I've emailed my database, to create records. They can only open it, and probably do searches, but when they try to create a record the error message reads "action cannot be performed because the file is not modifiable".

Under "manage security" I had added an guest account and given it "full access", but that didn't seem to do the trick. I figure it has nothing to do with "sharing", since I'm not on the same network, I'm just trying to email them the file.

Help please! Thanks so much, Franzi B.

Screen_Shot_2014-06-09_at_11.40.53_AM.png

• 1. Re: emailinged a fmp file to client to try out, but they can't create records (?)
          philmodjunk

This error message has nothing to do with the privileges you set up in Manage | Security. These are access privileges on the file or the folder that encloses this file.

On my machine, when I get to the "download" part of downloading an emailed attachment or downloading from a drop box link, I get a dialog with two options: To save it, or to open it. If I choose to open it, this file is downloaded to a designated download folder and opens as "read only". I can't modify the file while it is in this folder. If I choose to save it, I can open the saved copy from the location I chose for the download and it opens as a modifiable file.

In similar fashion, there are folders on a computer, such as the programs folder on some systems where you might download such a file, but the file will then open as "read only", so users should not save such a file to such a location.