1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 2:57 PM by philmodjunk

Emails

sburech

Title

Emails

I have 145 students. My student table and student layout contains each student’s complete data, including their email addresses, except for 3 that have no email address. I then did a report layout for each student, in the form of a letter, containing information on his or her ranking, status, etc.  To each letter I will make identical attachments of future assignments.  How do I email each letter to each individual student?  Someone suggested a “a script loop thru a found set and create emails for each participant, which would open in my Mail application allowing me to attach the files for them and send the mail.” I really don't know how to do this.  Can you draft this for me?  How will such a script handle the records that have no email address?  Please go slowly.  I am a real Newbee, running FM-11 on a MAC PowerBookG4 with OS 10.5.8.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Emails
          philmodjunk

Unless you purchase an email plug in, you'll have a problem with this part:  I then did a report layout for each student, in the form of a letter, containing information on his or her ranking, status, etc.

Emails from FileMaker are plain text so you can't email a "letter" as formatted on a FileMaker layout although you can save such a letter as a PDF and attach it to the email. You can put information from FileMaker in the body of the email and send it as a plain text email--so that's an approach you can probably get to work for you.

You might make sure that you can send one email to one student the way you want to first, then work on a script for sending it to all of them. Note that in the Send Mail script step, you can specify an attachment so it's possible to send out your emails to your individual students and attach the same assignment file to each of them. You can even send out a customized email to every record in a found set where each record stores a different student's email--so this doesn't necessarily require a loop either.