4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2009 8:39 AM by comment_1

Embed images

Jeff123

Title

Embed images

Is there a way to embed images without using a container?  For example, if one uses images as buttons or as a background, can you embed the image to filemaker?  This is not on nor can access a server, and if I were to switch to a new computer or reorganize files I do not want to have to delete all the "image not located" boxes and replace each button with the updated local link.

Thanks 

• 1. Re: Embed images
          davidanders

You can setup multiple fields that detail the path.

Then a calculation field that concantenates those fields into a path with the result a container. 

Change the server, or change the containing folder, edit the appropriate field, the calculation recalcs the paths. 

• 2. Re: Embed images
            comment_1

Jeff123 wrote:

Is there a way to embed images without using a container?

Yes - you can insert images directly onto a layout (in Layout mode, select Insert > Picture…).

Jeff123 wrote:

if I were to switch to a new computer or reorganize files I do not want to have to delete all the "image not located" boxes

If you do NOT select 'Store only a reference to the file", then the entire image will be embedded and Filemaker will not look for an external image file. BTW, the same thing aplies to images in container fields - so I am not sure why that's not an option for you.

• 3. Re: Embed images
              Jeff123
                 Oh, I didn't see the "store as reference" option when inserting the images.  

As for using containers, the reason against it for me is really only two things.  First I have over a hundred fields already and its getting to be tedious inserting a field, scrolling to find the right one, etc over and over again.  And I have a good amount of buttons.  That is more of a novice and lazy thing though...

The other reason is when playing with the layout of background/header/buttons, its MUCH easier to design when seeing the image versus doing it when all you see is a bordered box.
              • 4. Re: Embed images
                comment_1

OTOH, if you need to reuse these images on several layouts, it 's more efficient to store them just once. You can make yourself a table for images (and other general stuff), so those fields won't litter your data tables.

Jeff123 wrote:
                its MUCH easier to design when seeing the image versus doing it when all you see is a bordered box.

Try turning on View > Show > Sample Data.